D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Week 14...Transfers, 100 Days, A New Companion and Trained!!!

     It's been said that the only "constant in life is change".  This week things are changing up.  On Thursday (9/12) Elder Muir will hit his 100 day mark...YAY!!!  He's survived the first 100 days, only 630 days to go.  Transfers were this week (Tuesday, 9/10) and now that he's officially trained he feared that he would lose his companion, Elder J. 

     Elder Muir's email (dated Monday, 9/9/13)
  1. What are your highs & lows this week?  Unfortunately this week has been kind of slow.  We did not teach a whole lot of lessons, but one high was that I placed my first BOM on Tuesday all by myself without Elder J's help.  I literally said, “we are handing out these free books, do you want one” and she said sure.  I’m not sure it will go anywhere but we will stop back and check with her.  But hey, I was proud of myself!  Another high was district meeting on Wednesday.  Since it was our last district meeting together because of the upcoming transfers we had a really good lesson on enduring to the end of our life and our mission.  Also another high was the other Elders in our district had a baptism on Saturday so we went to that and it was pretty cool.  A low was trying to go visit the guy in jail. Unfortunately, there are a lot of roadblocks in our way and we are not going to get in to talk to him because 1) only one person can visit with him at a time, so we would be breaking companion rules if just one of us visited with him and  2) we have to be on his visitor list to see him. In order to do that you have to call the superintendent and get on that list.  So there’s a lot standing in our way, but just like 1 Nephi 3:7 says, “the Lord will prepare a way to accomplish the things that he commands”.  Overall it was kind of a slow week, not much happened, so hopefully things will pick back up this week once transfers are over with.  Also, I did an exchange with the other Elders so Elder J (district leader) could go do the baptismal interview for the baptism that happened Saturday.  Also, I watched some cool videos on the Mormon channel.  The videos are new and it is under introduction to Mormons and it talks about the temple, family history, basic history of the church, temple square, and missionary work.  They are all different videos.  I’ve also been watching “The District” on the Mormon Channel and I really liked one of the quotes that was given…the key to know God is to struggle.  I think this is a really inspiring quote.  The Mormon Channel has some great things and would be great for you to watch for FHE or on Sunday afternoons.
  2. What are 5 positive things this week?  Me being able to  place the BOM.  Also I loved getting your BYU package.  The BOM class was fun because it is cool how Nephi is prophesying about things that are going to come about in our times.  I have enjoyed reading your seminary stuff on Alma and Amulek.  Also, I will sometimes say vocal prayers to help me stay focused and not let my mind wander. 
  3. What are you grateful for?  I am grateful for prayer and how Heavenly Father can help you when you need help. 
  4. What's the scoop with transfers?  So here’s the scoop with transfers…I am staying in Camp Hill and Elder J is leaving and he’s going to be a Zone Leader somewhere.  He will find out where he is going tomorrow.  I know who my companion is, but I don't think he knows I'm his companion yet.  I will go get him at 8:45 tomorrow morning.  His name is Elder F (FYI, he trained my MTC companion which I thought was pretty hilarious). One of the sisters is staying in our ward but the other has finished her mission and she is going home.  Her new companion is another sister that was in our district and I was in the MTC with her and came out to Pittsburgh with her.  The elders in the other ward in our district are staying the same and one of them will be the district leader.  The sister missionary in the other ward in our district will be the STL (sister training leader).  Her companion was the new sister that just came to our ward when Sister A went home in July .  So I will get more info tomorrow and next week when president does his email. 
  5. Who calls and tells you whether you’re being transferred or not?  Well the zone leaders call and tell you if you are getting transferred or not.  We found this out on Saturday.  If you are getting a leadership calling (DL, ZL or training) president will call you sometime either Saturday or Sunday.  So we knew things were changing Saturday but we did not know if either of us would be in leadership positions yet.  We didn’t get any calls on Saturday from president, but of course in the middle of sacrament meeting he calls and we both freaked out.  He left a message and we called him back after sacrament. Elder J found out he was becoming a ZL. 
  6. How does the transportation work for transfers?  Well it is a very complicated process that the AP's make and send out to the ZL's.  What makes it especially hard is how big the mission is.  Basically you carpool with missionaries to the transfer meeting either in Pittsburgh or Harrisburg, depending on what side of the mission you are going to and coming from, and then meet your companion and depart from there.
  7. I know you share a room with Elder J, but do you have 2 rooms in your apartment?  Yes, we do have 2 rooms, the other is the study room.  I will send some pictures of that in another email. 
  8. What happened with the BOM and the guy in jail?  Well as I mentioned above, we sent the BOM off to him and unfortunately it got sent back.  It said it is an unreliable source.  So apparently it has to come from whatever ward the guy is in (I think he is a less active) so we still are trying to get it to him.  I am determined to get it to him before we leave, so I will keep you posted.   
  9. How are Franky & Sally?  Well we have not been able to have a lesson with them for a while because the kids have had lice. Hopefully we should be able to go this weekend.  However, we stopped by last night so Elder J could get a picture with them before he leaves.
  10. What about the M family?  They are doing well, we had a good lesson with them about eternal marriage and getting sealed in the temple.  I led the discussion because that was the day we were on exchanges.  It was a cool experience, the spirit was strong and I think they liked it.  Also, they made it to church yesterday so that was great.
  11. Any new investigators?  No
  12. Did you get my BYU football starter kit?  Did you like it?  Yes and Yes!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Did you like Mrs. Wrubell's play by play of the game?  Yes, it was awesome!!! I just thought of Greg in my head as I read the play by play and his freak out moments that he has and I loved it.  You should apply at ESPN and become a sports reporter J.
  14. What did you think of the camping trip?  Wait till you see the pictures :)  Oh boy, what didn't I think…all I can say is that must have been an ADVENTURE!!!  I can't wait to see the pictures.  Also I loved the block “Y” that you wrote the letter on, thanks!
  15. Are you more comfortable with your teaching?  Yes, I am getting the hang of things and getting better and more confident.
  16. How does it feel to be officially trained?   Kind of scary, but it’s also a good feeling.  I know now that I'm officially trained I will do awesome. 
  17. Anything we can do for you or that you need?  No, not that I can think of.
  18. What can we pray for?  That I’ll be able to continue to progress and work well with Elder F…wish me luck.

Love,
Elder Muir


     Well now that you have the answers to the questions from your email,  here are the answers to your questions from the  BYU letter.  The reason I asked where the Elder Holland quote was from is to see if I could find the talk but I figured you found it on Pinterest.  Also, I know a little bit about the BYU vs. Texas game.  I know that we won but that is about it.  It sounds like you had quite the rainstorm.  Bro. T was telling me they had like 3/4 inch of rain in an hour before the game started.  Also, that Alpine had a flash flood warning.  That is crazy about Kayla’s mission getting iPads and FB already.  We are not using them yet, but it must be soon if they have started in other areas.  So I will keep you posted.  That is cool that Andrew is a zone leader.  And that’s a big NO…you never told me about Derek going to homecoming. Who is he going with?  
 
     Tell Kyle "Congrats" on his Eagle and becoming an Elder.  I forgot that brother Pugh's dad was mission President here.  The previous mission home is in our area but I don't know exactly where, but I'm sure I could find a few people that knew who he was so I will keep you posted.    Also Elder Arnold spoke at our MTC Marriott Center devotional while I was there.  He is going to be at our zone conference next month while he does a mission tour.  Which I keep forgetting to tell you, Elder Bednar came right before I got out here so I missed it by like a week.  He spoke to the entire mission.  I have a picture that Sister Topham gave me even though I am not in it.  I will send it to you. 

     Also, I read a good Ensign talk by Pres. Eyring.  It is called "Be Ready" you should all read it but especially have Derek read it.  http://www.lds.org/ensign/2009/11/be-ready
 

     I don't think Elder J thinks you are crazy.  Yes, he is excited to be a zone leader.  I think he is on his way to AP at some point.  Elder F (new companion) has been in Lewisburg (somewhere north of Camp Hill) but I know nothing about him and I think he has been out about 7 1/2 months.  I will snail mail after I meet him.  No, I did not take a pic with Franky & Sally yet but I will when I leave.  I don't know what has happened with the friend we will ask when we see them next. 
 
     Yes, I heard about the rain delay for the BYU game.  They can't get away from the rain it sounds like.  That is cool you got to talk to Elder Arnold at the funeral.  I will have to tell him that he talked to my parents at the funeral he spoke at.  In the pictures I sent there is a picture of my nametag with my missionary tag in Braille.  A member sister in  the other ward that is in our district does Braille stuff. The missionaries in her ward (other Elders in our district) have Braille nametag stickers. We thought they were cool so the missionaries must have told her and she made us some too.  Also, if you email elder Arnold info about me, tell him I am in the Harrisburg zone so he knows where to look for me. Yes, I am still happy.  I am just ready for transfers and to meet my new companion.  I will keep you updated and write after tomorrow.  Still no info on gpa’s new truck, tell gpa Lewy that I'm patiently waiting for him to tell me the story.  Well, peace out I love you.
 
Love,
Elder Muir
xoxoxo

 
 Last district meeting together

Study room

Study wall

Braille nametag

No comments:

Post a Comment