D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Monday, September 23, 2013

Week 16...Zone Conference and Fall is in the Air


  1. First off, how was zone conference? When was it and how many missionaries were there? What did you do?  Zone conference was AWESOME!  There were about 85 missionaries from Harrisburg, Chambersburg, and Lancaster zone.  It was very inspired conference and very good to hear what was said. We talked about the Come Follow Me teachings and how we can tie that into the way the Savior taught and wants us to teach.  Also, we discussed the talk His Grace is Sufficient       http://www.lds.org/ensign/2013/09/his-grace-is-sufficient?lang=eng   and also a talk by Elder Bednar      http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2004/10/in-the-strength-of-the-lord?lang=eng     (the very first conference talk he gave). I really enjoyed those talks a lot.  I'm sure you have read His Grace is Sufficient since it is in this month’s Ensign.  I really like the story he shares about the piano lessons and the boy and the analogy he gives.  I think Pres. Beard talked about it in stake conference once.  I especially like where it talks about how it doesn't matter how good or bad we are that we just need to keep trying and not give in even though we hit a lot of wrong notes. We are always going to fall short, but we shouldn’t give up because we fall short.  If you keep practicing you will get better and your testimony will grow and it will be easier to turn away from sin and not have the desire to do evil.  Growth and development take time.  So does learning, it’s important to learn from our mistakes and keep striving to become a better disciple of Christ.  Luckily, the atonement has been given to us and we don't need to be perfect.  What counts is that we keep trying to become like Him.  The talk by Elder Bednar is given literally hours after he is called to be an apostle.  He talks about Enoch and how he asks God what’s so special about me, why have you chosen me?  He feels very inadequate.  You will have to read the talk and it explains it much better.  It also talks about his experiences when they are getting ready to change Ricks to BYU-I.  Someone asks him are you nervous to do this and he said he would be terrified if he did not have the "strength of the Lord".  So it was a very good zone conference.  No such luck on technology yet.  There is a mission president seminar next month and president thinks he may get more info there.  So hopefully it is getting closer. 
  2. Did you have interviews with the mission president?  No, that is in November I think
  3. Are the leaves changing in Camp Hill yet?  Little by little they are.  Things are starting to cool down so it should be soon. 
  4. Is the weather cooling off? Yes  Will you need winter stuff yet or is it finally starting to feel bearable?  Let’s give it a little bit longer.  Hopefully I can make it through this transfer, but I will keep you posted. 
  5. Looks like you might have had a lot of rain on Saturday, did you survive?  Yes, we did have rain and luckily that was our day that we walked up to the M family’s home and a couple of other places that are far away.  It was sprinkling on us during the afternoon and that night around 6:30 or 7 pm it started pouring.  At that point we were in for the night because we had to finish weekly planning.  I was glad to not be stuck in it.   
  6. What are the highs/lows for the week?  Well this week was a good week but also kind of a long week.  So the first thing is a new guy moved into the ward and he lives our area.  His name is J. M. and he played Little Ricky on I Love Lucy   http://everythinglucy.youns.com/joseph-michael_mayer.asp?vm=r&s=1 He recently moved from Portland.  He lived down the street from the temple.  He and his twin brother played Little Ricky in the 3rd  through the 5th  season.  I got a signed card from him that I will either send home or take a picture and send it.  He had an open house to meet his neighbors and get to know people on Monday at his apartment.  So we went with the sisters and the bishop. He has a neighbor that we are hopefully going to start teaching soon and she seems pretty interested.  He served his mission in Japan.  He is strong in the gospel and will be a good addition to our ward.
     Another high is we picked up some new investigators.  It is a husband and wife.  He is not all there mentally.  I've seen him out walking a bunch of times (when Elder J was here) but we could never find him to teach him.  His wife is in a rehab center. She is recovering from pneumonia and muscle atrophy from the pneumonia.  They are a younger couple so we will see where it goes.  Obviously another high was zone conference.  My low for the week is I have a huge blister on my Achilles heel.  It was because I wore the tie up shoes on a day that we walked to the top of our area and they are kind of tight.  I think they might be too small (even though the guy said that 8 ½’s were best).  So I wore them to try to give my other shoes a break since they really are on their last steps…literally. The problem is now the blister is in a spot that just gets rubbed up against my shoe since it is on the back of my foot.  It would be fine if I could wear flip flops, but that’s probably not going to happen.  So hopefully it will get better quick.  I have a picture to send but Elder F says I can't use church computers anymore to email.  The library computers won't let me send pics.  So you will have to see it when I send the SD card home.  I have asked president and we will see what he says.  Also a high was the other night the moon was coming up and it was huge and orange.  A picture will be coming eventually.  Finally, I read those 2 Ensign talks you were talking about I really really loved those.  I think Elder Holland is amazing. 
  1. What are 5 positive things for this week?  1)  Zone conference.  2)  It’s cool to think that Little Ricky is in our ward.  3)  The moon was beautiful and amazing.  4) We have some new investigators. 
  2. How are the investigators coming? Is the work progressing/picking up?  Yes, things are picking up little by little, but we’ve also had a little bit of falling back down. 
  3. Were you able to make contact with the new guy that Elder J originally tried to contact?  Yes, we are going back in couple of weeks.  That is when he told us to come back. 
  4. What about Franky & Sally? Do the kids still have lice? Have you been able to go back?  I'm not really sure what’s up.   They say they do, but I'm beginning to not buy it anymore.  Unfortunately, they are sliding backwards a little.  We tried teaching them Saturday and we were able to get in but it was not really anything great.  However, all we can do is keep trying and hope and pray they will start moving a forward again. 
  5. Any news about the guy in jail?  Not much, his girlfriend called the other day and said he still wants us to come.  We told her of our problems/roadblocks.  She said she would try to get us on the visitor list. 
  6. How are the meals? Good,  just like home cooking.  I am starting to eat my peas, corn and beans.  Are you being fed a lot?  Yes, we probably average 3 times a week
  7. Did you get a letter from gma Bonnie & gpa Lewy? Not yet.  What about a Deseret Book pckg from gma Karen?  Not yet.  I guess I should be expecting a lot of mail the next few days.   
  8. What's the name of the CD/group that you wanted some music from? Lower Lights Dad said it sounds kind of bluegrassy? Yes, that is them.  They have some cool songs I have heard.  Can't remember where to find it in the letters/emails. I should have written it down.
  9. How did you get to WalMart last week (when lady paid) if the sisters weren't there yet? Is WalMart close enough to walk to?  The sisters just weren’t with us at that point (meaning we were shopping separately in the store and we were not together) and the lady just ran into us first. She was so nice and paid for our groceries and we did not know where the sisters were.  The sisters showed up and then she bought us lunch.  So the sisters still drove us to WalMart, they just weren’t around us when we ran into the lady. 
  10. What having you been buying for groceries lately?  I haven't had to buy a lot lately because I still had bulk stuff like bagel bites etc.  I’ve been making stuff with chicken like the bbq chicken pizza and teriyaki rice and chicken.  I found these little chicken cordon bleu balls that Tyson makes and like those.  I wish I could make some of the recipes you sent and some of the recipes out of the book Alyssa gave me, but they all take too long to make.  We don’t have a lot of time.  Luckily we are being fed pretty good.   Today I need to stock up on things again because I am starting to run out of my stock pile. 
  11. How are things with Elder F? Anymore weird stuff, any good stuff? Are things going better this week? Do you enjoy him as a companion?  It is interesting.  I would take Elder J back in a hearbeat, but I am making do with what I have and learning a lot in the process.  I know some people in the ward are not thrilled with him.    I will write more in my snail mail.  So hopefully I will make it 3 more weeks.  It will be fine, but if I get anymore with him it may be interesting.  I just wish I could know what the few people in the ward don't like about him.  Overall, he is good but he just has little things here and there that I don't love about him.  I will talk a little more about it in snail mail because I'm out of time on the computer. 
  12. Do you need anything? (besides the shoes, belt, shorts)  What is Alyssa's apartment address now that she is in panama?  I would like to send mail directly to her so it doesn't have to go through the mission home. 
  13. Can we specifically pray for anyone/anything?  That Elder F and I can continue working together and be unified. 
  14. When is the mission/zone tour that Elder Arnold is doing?  October 9
  15. Are you happy? Yes
  16. Did you hear about the game?  Yes, lots of people were very tired yesterday.  Since it was 2 hrs ahead here it did not end until 2 am.  I am kind of glad we have a few years for a break too.  I'm excited to get your Cougar Tracks game report. 
I love you and miss you, hope you get the SD card today. 

Love
Elder Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment