Monday, October 7, 2013
Hello to all, hope you are all well. It
was amazing to watch & participate in conference as a missionary. It’s
so crazy to think that I am part of the 80,000 + missionaries that are serving
and thinking that I'm being prayed for in General Conference. The work is
moving forward and I’m blessed to be part of it.
- Where did you watch General Conference
(Saturday/Priesthood/Sunday)? Well Saturday
we went to Bro M’s house (Little Ricky) and watched both of the
sessions. He streamed it off of the BYU tv website. For
priesthood we went to the church building and watched it there, getting
done with priesthood session at 10 pm was new for me. Before the
priesthood session we had pie and ice cream at the church. Sunday we
watched all of the sessions at the church. There weren’t very many
people there and we just stayed at the church in between sessions. Let’s just
say PJs and the couch is the best way to watch conference :)
- What were your favorite parts/talks of General Conference? I really liked Elder Holland’s talk. He’s always an amazing speaker and I loved how his talk gave each of us hope. The story he related about Stephanie Nielsen touched me and I liked how he talked about how in her darkest moments and her wanting to give up because she would never look the same that her Heavenly Father still loved her more than she could comprehend. Even though her life is different she is learning to adapt and make the most of what God has given her and He is still mending her. https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/like-a-broken-vessel?lang=eng Also, I like Pres. Uchtdorf’s talk about how we as members of the church are just normal people, we all make mistakes and our doubts about things we don’t know shouldn’t shake what we do know (reminded me of Elder Holland’s April 2013 talk). Loved the quote, “doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith”. https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/come-join-with-us?lang=eng Another talk that impressed me was Elder Mayne’s. I liked how he used the analogy of a testimony and cross country training & basketball. He said, “a testimony, like your body, needs to be in shape if you want it to endure”. I loved how he compared it to enduring to the end and how we need to press forward with faith and as we build our endurance towards eternal life so we will receive the great reward in the end. https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/the-strength-to-endure?lang=eng
- What were your highs/lows for the week? High was definitely conference. Also, last
night we were able to go over to our investigator, Sister S’s (we ate
dinner with her Tuesday night, she is the neighbor to Bro. M) and give her
a blessing. She was able to watch conference at her home J She is having surgery today on a cancer spot on
her nose. We were also able to give her friend a blessing. It was
awesome that all of the M family was able to watch conference. I was very glad to hear that they were
able to see it. Unfortunately we
have not been able to see the M family in a while because they are only
around at night. We sometimes have a hard time making it up there at
night. A low was on exchanges we had to use the crappy bikes again, like
I said last time they are not the greatest (but I guess it beats walking).
The gears are all jacked up so it makes it very hard to peddle and change
into a decent gear. Another low was we almost started the “stop
smoking” lesson with Franky & Sally but they totally flaked out on us.
However, on a high note, Bro. M has given Franky & Sally an
incentive to get them to start the “stop smoking” lesson and continue
taking the lessons. The deal is this…Freddy and his friend want to
start their own business but they don't have money to do it. Bro M
is willing to invest money in their business and give them money to help
them out with food & expenses if they take the lessons from us. He
is so generous with them and is a great example of how members &
missionaries can work together. It’s
sad, they are so poor and he is helping them with food because they are
starving. So luckily they are still a work in progress.
- What are 5 positive things this week? Obviously conference. I had another exchange. Also, I forgot mention last week that we now have one bike. We got it from a less active member in another ward. We are working on getting a second bike.
- When is the next transfer? I have a Halloween
package to send but want to make sure you are still there. Next transfer is Oct. 22, but I won't know
until the 19th if I will get transferred. So I will keep you posted
on what happens. Next week I am going to have the same rule as before,
everything needs to be sent by Thursday before transfers.
- Did you do anything about the shoes? Just get
what you need at Jo Banks and let me know so I can pay the VISA. Hopefully I'm going to go over today and buy
some. We are not going to the church today so we have all
afternoon.
- Did the SD card ever get back to you? I still
haven't received it...bummer :( No I
have not gotten it back yet. No clue what happened to it. Let’s
pray that it makes it back
eventually. Luckily I had already emailed all of the pictures on it so
you have seen most of them. I still have the other SD card so I will
just resend the video when I send this card home.
- How's it going with Little Ricky's neighbor? Have
you been back to teach her? How was the dinner with them? We have not been back to teach her yet and she
went in for surgery today so it may be a while before we teach her
again. Dinner was good, we had spaghetti. We had a good lesson
with her so hopefully it will go somewhere when she recovers.
- Is your weather still nice? Well, as we speak it is pouring rain right now.
This past week has been in the 80's and very hot (unseasonably hot) but
most of September was very nice, in the high 60's to mid 70's with not a
lot of humidity. I'm just waiting for winter to arrive and not rebound
until summer again.
- Any update on the guy in jail? None
- What about the referral that you got from the
other missionaries? We have door talked to
him but have not had a lesson yet. We are going back tomorrow.
- Were you able to make contact/teach Franky &
Sally? I already explained about
them above. We have talked with them but we have not really taught
them. An Elder in the district who met them on exchanges thought it
would be a good idea to put them on the temple prayer roll. If you
could do that it would be fab.
- Any new investigators or contacts? No, not really
-
My time is up so I'll write later. Love you and miss you!
- Elder Muir
August bday missionaries (taken from the mission president's (MP) blog)
September 2013 Harrisburg, Lancaster & Chambersburg zones (taken from MP blog)


No comments:
Post a Comment