D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Friday, December 20, 2013

Week 28...Zone Conference & We Were "Grounded"


Howdy...
     I know you asked about Christmas day plans in your questions so I thought I would get that off first in a separate email with some ideas on how the phone call will work.  So first off, what are your plans for Christmas day so I can know a time frame of when to Skype?  I do get to Skype.  I know that we will be with one family pretty much all day long.  So really I can do it anytime.  I was thinking since I have Skype that you could set me up an account and send the info instead of me figuring out stuff at the family’s house. That way I can just use that username & password the rest of my mission (if I can use Skype at other places.)  So let me know your thoughts on what you want to do. 
     First off, the family I am Skyping with is the F family.  Apparently they have been having  the missionaries over for Christmas day for a while.  They are in their 50's and they are empty nesters.  I will probably  Skype you around 11 or 12 your time.

     They have all the equipment, I just need the account info and instructions would be great.  The white handbook says we can talk about 30-45 minutes, but President said he does not care…just to be wise.  Most people go about an hour and half.  So I will be looking for your Skype instructions.  PS did you get the picture email with your Christmas clues?  Well I need to finish the questions. 

     It sounds like you had a great time this weekend at the Eclipse concert.  Speaking of that, could you send me their hymn CD that I left in my room?  Also, they have a Christmas CD that I would like.  It is not the colorful cover Christmas CD, it has a night scene with the star of Christ’s birth in the sky.  Since it was a Student Life event did you see Michelle or anyone else that you recognized?  
 
1.   How are things going?  Things are going well, I can't believe it is almost the end of the year and Christmas is less than 10 days away.  I can't wait to see all of you and hear from you.  I think that maybe my best Christmas present ever.  I am beginning to realize that it’s a prized possession to have family close by.  Like your poem said, that is the greatest gift of all. 
2.   How are things with you and Elder B?  Things are good.  He is teaching me a lot and we are really starting to unite as companions.
3.   What are the highs/lows for this week?  Zone conference was definitely the highlight of the week.  It was good to see Elder J and his awesome Irish companion, Elder M.  The training and messages that were given at the conference were amazing.  Also the mission video they showed was awesome and I can't wait for you guys to eventually see it.  A low was that we did not have a whole lot of lessons this week because a lot of people cancelled on us at the last minute.  Also Saturday night we got “grounded” for the first time this season.   Some people call it “called in”, others call it “parked”, either way once the storm rolled in we had to park our car for the duration of the storm.  Without our car we can’t do a whole lot so we ended up just cleaning our apartment.  Another high was a baptism that the sisters in the other ward had yesterday.  The kid is 17 and has been coming to church for a year.  He is neighbors with a member and their daughter invited him to something church related a year ago.  At the time, the mom did not want him to be baptized.   But out of nowhere this past week his mom approved for him to be baptized and he was taught everything in a week.  He was totally ready because he had been going to seminary every day and church every week. 
5.   Were you able to have your singing extravaganza last night that was postponed from last week?  Yes.  What kind of activity was it?  Well it was supposed to be an activity where people would invite nonmember friends but none of the NM friends were there last night.  Some people were going to come the week before but other commitments prevented them from coming this week.  Basically we had some YM /YW & some families sing and a quartet and then we sang. Afterwards we watched the Christmas devotional from last week with the people that were there.  What did you sing and with who?  We and the sisters sang the Nativity song in primary book. 
6.   Boris wants to know if you have a "How's My Driving?" bumper sticker on your car like the missionaries in Utah?  Nope
7.   How are things with your investigators and less actives?  TP, Mandy, Lee & DK?  Any new contacts with anyone?  Well we did not see any of them this week.  DK cancelled on us last minute and Mandy had to work all week.  We are hoping this week we can teach all of them. 
8.   How was your zone conference?  Tell me about it?  Were you able to see Elder J (new AP who was Elder Muir’s trainer)?  How's he doing?  Oh my gosh,  zone conference was the best thing ever.  It was awesome to see Elder J.  He is doing great and we loved seeing each other.  His companion is Elder M from Ireland and he is hilarious.  Now zone conference was great, President and the APs had a great training on how to teach better and like the Savior taught.  After we broke into zones and the zone leaders did training on how to get investigators to church.  At the very end we watched the mission video.  It’s a video that missionaries contribute pictures to throughout the year and they make a video and show it at the end of the year.  I have a copy so we will have it when I get home.  Also, they handed out little temple recommend cases like the one that I have now, but this new one has a picture of Pittsburgh and it says Pennsylvania Pittsburgh Mission on it.  They also handed out Christmas cards that the First Presidency sends to all of the missionaries. 
9.   Looks like you had another storm on Saturday, how was it?  Did you have freezing rain?  Are you freezing? It was pretty normal.  We got about 4 inches or so of snow.  It came in late afternoon and then went into the night.  There was some freezing rain but for the most part it was just on the cars.   Scraping the ice off the cars on Sunday was not fun.  Like I said before, we got “parked” Saturday night but overall it was pretty normal. 
10.  Dad wants to know if you've used his big coat yet? Yes, I wore it on Saturday. 
11.  How are the members doing?  Have you visited with any recently?  They are doing great and they are really trying to looking for member missionary opportunities. 
12.  How come your dinners are slow right now? They have picked back up again and this week is pretty much full.  What are you doing for dinners/groceries?  I eat bagel bites a lot and homemade BBQ chicken pizza is a favorite.  Also, I do chicken and rice stir fry and then other random things I find. 
13.  Where is your favorite place to eat out in Lititz/Manheim?  Honestly I don’t eat at a lot of local stuff.  A lot of the stuff is just chain fast food.  However, there is one place called Panera Bread (like Great Harvest and Kneaders) that is really good, but I’ve only been there once.
14.  What's your favorite thing to cook right now?  What are you sick of eating?  Really, anything I have I will make. 
15.  Can you tell if you're gaining weight now that you have a car?  No, I don't think I am.  I just control how much I eat. 
16.  How are your feet?  Has the humidity helped your cracked heels?  Are they doing better?  They are doing pretty good.  Humidity is definitely helping my skin but it also makes it really cold now.  Let’s just say my skin may freak the first few days I’m back home. 
17.  How are the 25 Days of Christmas going?  What's your favorite surprise been so far?  The pictures are my favorite.  By the way I don’t have a family one for the month of November in the book.    Are you still doing one each day?  Yes

20.  Any spiritual experiences you will share?  The baptism that took place in the other ward yesterday was a neat experience.  It strengthened my testimony to know that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us, no matter what happens and how long it takes.  Seeds are planted and eventually hearts are softened.
21.  What did you guys do at your ward Christmas party?  We had dinner and then they had a program of sing alongs and members of the ward singing. 


Well out of time, love you and can’t wait to see you in a few days. 

Elder Muir


 December 2013 Zone Conference...Lancaster Zone (Elder Muir is on the right side)
Photo courtesy of Sis. Topham's blog (MP wife)
Elder Muir at Wilbur Chocolates...Yum!!!
***Because my son doesn't believe in taking pictures of nature/scenery (only himself...which I love and his paper Christmas tree, which I've already seen because I sent it to him :) I have to stalk the local news channel and rely on the local pictures that are sent in.  The pictures below are from local PA residents in his area (some are great photographers :)

Recent snowstorm on Main street in Ephrata, PA (part of Elder Muir's district)



Ephrata snowstorm

Buchanon Park


Manheim, PA...one of Elder Muir's areas





Loading groceries into the Amish buggy







No comments:

Post a Comment