D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Week 36...Wacky Weather Doesn't Hamper Our Efforts & Success



Week 36…February 10, 2014
  1. How was your week?  What are the highs/lows?  Well I guess the first thing is I have a cold all of the sudden.  Saturday I started getting a stuffy nose and a little bit of a cough and yesterday I woke up and I didn't feel great at all.  I still went to church and did our other duties but I felt cruddy most of the day.  So last night a snow storm came in and I decided to take it easy and just lay down for the night.  We figured there wasn’t much for us to do because it was not smart/safe to drive so we decided it would be better for me to rest and see if I could kick the cold.  So that’s what I did and I feel a tiny bit better today but I still have a yucky cough. Another low was that  D & TP were supposed to be at church yesterday but they did not make it.  We stopped by D’s after church and he said both of them over slept.  So our fingers are crossed for next week.  On the up side though we did have a less active lady that we’ve been teaching at church.  She came to church with her granddaughter.  Unfortunately, she only stayed for sacrament meeting but at least she made it to church.  Another high was that we picked up 2 new investigators.  One is from an old media referral, he asked for a BOM a few years ago.  We called the guy to see if he was still interested at all and he said that he had a couple of questions about the BOM.  So we were able to set up an appointment to go over and answer his questions.  The crazy part is that we called him Monday night and we visited him Friday night and he read the BOM over that 5 day period.  Two thumbs up for him, that is quite impressive in my book.  He said we could come back and visit again, so hopefully he will go somewhere.  The other new investigator is somebody that Elder B street contacted while I was on exchange a couple of weeks ago.  We did not get much done with him at the appointment.   We really just got to know him a little better. 
  2. What are 5 positive things from last week?  I survived the ice storm.  We found 2 new people to teach.  My Chex mix made it in one piece which I was quite happy about. 
  3. Did you survive the ice storm last week?  Yes, luckily most of the storm came in the middle of the night and by morning it was just plain rain.   The plows were able to work through the morning to get the ice of the road and by mid afternoon we were back in business
  4. Did your power go out?  It did in the middle of the night and it came back on early Wednesday morning around 5 AM. 
  5. The news coverage showed a lot of downed trees, did the ice cause any damage near or around you?  Not really around us.  Down by the church there were tons of trees and branches down.  There was just little stuff down by our apartment. 
  6. Was your car parked on Wednesday?  No because by mid afternoon the roads were just wet and no ice. 
  7. Has the weather settled down and are you back to normal?  Yes, it is still cold and last night we got a snow storm.  Also, I think later this week we are supposed to get some snow.  But I am hoping we are on the home stretch to warmer weather and no more snow. 
  8. How's Elder B and how are you 2 getting along?  We are getting along good.  Sometimes we don’t always agree on everything, but I think that is pretty normal.  So overall things are good, 
  9. Did you get your Valentine's Day package full of love (one of the sacks is for Elder B)?  Did you get the BOM study guide & February picture?  Yes to all and I loved it. 
  10. I LOVED the snowman you built last Monday, it is huge.  However, we're all wondering how in the world you got the head on top?   We also liked your creativity creating his face.  The eyes look like frosting tub lids (true or false). The nose looks like a shoe polish brush (true or false) and the mouth looks like a wrapper of some sort (true or false).  We also loved the missionary nametag...nice job on Elder Frosty :)  The top layer was not super hard because the head was pretty small.  The hardest part was the middle ball.  It took the two of us and another dude that lives by us.  He was building another snowman.  Yes, the eyes are Tupperware lids and the nose is a shoe brush.  The mouth is this otter pop thing we found in our freezer.   
  11. How much snow did you get this past week?  Do you still have snow on the ground?  We still have quite a bit.  None of it really melted from last week’s big storm.  There’s also still a little bit of snow left from a couple of weeks ago and last night we got about an inch or so.  (2/13/14 Update…the storm that pounded through last night/today dumped a good 10 inches on them and closed the school/library/rec center & shopping centers again)
  12. How are things with the investigators?
    1. How are things going with D & the clan?  They are doing well.  We saw  D on Thursday.  Unfortunately, he has not read in a while so right now he is kind of back sliding.  Hopefully we can get him moving in the right direction again and get them all to church next.  We tried to have a lesson with TP but we just ended up talking to her for a little bit because things were kind of chaotic when we got there. 
    2. How about  N & M (Kenya couple)?  They are doing well.  We had a great lesson with them and invited them to be baptized.  But their hang up is they said they’ve already been baptized and they think they don't need to do it again.  We told them to continue meeting with us and to read and pray.  We’re hoping to get another lesson set up for this week. 
    3. What about A (Puerto Rico)?  Not much has changed with him.  We had a short lesson with him this week and we are going back tomorrow. 
    4. Are you still visiting withM?  We dropped her because she told us she was not interested when we called her the other day.
    5. How’s the I family  doing?  We have not seen them for a few weeks. Last week they were getting ready to go on a cruise and this week they are on the cruise.  So we are heading back there next Monday. 
    6. Any new leads or have you met anyone new?  Like I said above, we picked up 2 new investigators. B is the one that we weren’t able to have much of a lesson with, but we were able to get to know him better.  The other guy is  T. He’s the one that read the BOM in 5 days and we met with him and answered some questions about the BOM. 
  13. How are the members doing?  Any fun stories that you've had with them?  They are doing well and have really caught the missionary spirit.  They are really trying to help us in any way possible, they’re great. 
  14. Any adventurous meals/stories?  I can't believe your still eating asparagus...I consider it a tender mercy of the mission:)   I ate taco salad again the other night.
  15. Any big plans coming up in the ward or mission?  Zone conferences/meetings or activities?  Well the monthly zone training is coming up next week.  President will be there so it will be fun to see him.  Transfers are 2 weeks from tomorrow and I have been here about the right time to be considered to be on the chopping block so we will see what happens.  Yesterday the ward had a fun little activity called a linger longer.  They did a lunch/dinner potluck after church and we sat around and had a good time with the ward. 
  16. Anything else you want to tell me...maybe something that will make me laugh/smile?  I had to laugh at the heart that Svetlana sent in the heart attack.  She’s going to haunt us forever. You'll never have to worry about me neatly folding my laundry and keeping things clean.  Boris, on the other hand, you may have to worry when he leaves home. 
Well that is my week of wacky weather and success in the mission.  Things are moving forward and progressing and we are keeping busy.  I’m glad all is well with you and hope you’re all doing well. 

Love,
Elder Muir

 When Mother Nature doesn't allow you to drive to your local convenience store you walk :)
The is a major street in Lititz before the plows came through Thursday morning (2/13/14)


No comments:

Post a Comment