August
25, 2014
Elder Muir and the surprise Bday cake
Birthday book full of wishes & pictures
Feeling the "Birthday love"
Elders helping with moving day
Howdy,
Hey, I am
online and answering your questions but I thought I would send you a quick link
from the Deseret News and the Church News about Kane’s 150th Sesquicentennial
celebration. I am front and center in one of the pictures. Here’s the link to the articles. You may have already seen it on Des News.
https://www.lds.org/church/news/members-participate-in-kane-pennsylvania-sesquicentennial?lang=eng
and http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865608905/Sesquecentennial-celebration.html?pg=all
This week was awesome!!! A birthday and General
Authority all in the same week, what more could you ask for :) Things have been good and we are keeping
busy. The crazy thing is we are half way through the transfer again.
I can't believe school has started for Boris and Megs and summer is over.
By this time next year I will be home and starting school too…kind of scary.
Hope you enjoy the answers to your questions.
- How was your week? What were the highs/lows? This week has been a pretty awesome week. Like I said, a birthday and general authority coming, what more can you ask for. The high was definitely the general authority, Elder Wilford Andersen coming and speaking to us. His remarks were awesome and he is a really good speaker. His wife also gave a great little talk. It was fun to see all the missionaries from our zone and catch up & see how they were doing. Another high was my birthday. So many people were thoughtful and sent cards and packages of love…Thank You!!! I loved your package and reading the fun birthday booklet that you made. Thanks again for doing that, it made my day. I can't wait to see what comes from you this week. That day was a busy day because we had quite a few teaching appointments. That night we went to a church in St. Mary’s that does a free dinner every Wednesday night. We had a service opportunity and helped out there by washing dishes. Suffice it to say it was a very cool experience. The low was that it’s been pretty humid. It’s been pretty good all month but then last week the humidity cranked big time. However, from what I hear our weather has been abnormal too. Sounds like you’ve had a crazy/weird August. People are having a rough go with their gardens this year. Another low is we are roasted on miles already. We most likely are going to go over :(
- Did you order/get your new scriptures? Yes, I got them last Tuesday.
- Did you get my bday package? What did you think about the cake? Yes, I got it all and I loved it. Unfortunately, I have not taken it to DM yet because we did not have it last week because of the mission tour. There is a lot of frosting on it. It is good, but I think the humidity is getting to it and making it kind of weird. I loved the little birthday book you made with the notes & pictures. Who are all the girls with Flat Zach at Rita’s? I recognize most of them but one looks like a Hall girl but a lot different than last time I saw them. She is the one in middle front.
- Have you heard of the Bavarian Fall festival in St. Marys coming up in September? Will you participate in that? The lady that did the cake looks like she'll have a booth there (according to her FB page). I bet fall will be beautiful in St. Marys. No, I haven’t heard anything about it. I don’t think we will be doing anything for it. Maybe I will have to visit it.
- How was the mission/zone conference with Elder Andersen? How was your trip to State College? Did you get pictures? It was awesome!!! Pres. Johnson talked about the standard of baptism and how we need to be following what it talks about in DC 20:37. . . And again, by way of commandment to the church concerning the manner of baptism—All those who humble themselves before God, and desire to be baptized, and come forth with broken hearts and contrite spirits, and witness before the church that they have truly repented of all their sins, and are willing to take upon them the name of Jesus Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins, shall be received by baptism into his church. Afterwards Elder Andersen did a Q&A session and related it to the doctrine of Christ. The cool thing that really stood out to me was he talked about the same thing that almost all the general authorities have talked about. He discussed how one of the main purposes of a mission is to convert yourself. He said we (missionaries) are the next generation that will lead the church. We will be the next bishops, stake presidents or even prophet for that matter…that’s a little scary to think about. It is crazy to think about all of that but really that is the purpose of a mission. . .to prepare you for those types of leadership and callings. The most important thing is to magnify the calling that you have no matter where you serve. The trip to State College was good. It was kind of cool because we stopped at Chick FilA for lunch after the conference. Some people from the State College ward happened to be there and they bought us ice cream. He was a young guy with his dad. He is going to Penn State for his PhD. No, I did not get any pictures L
- Have you heard about a new movie that the church is releasing on the big screen on Oct. 10th called "Meet the Mormons". It's a movie about 6 LDS people and their lives and will play in select theaters. It will then play in one of the theaters down at Joseph Smith Memorial (I think). Yes, I have heard of it and I’ve seen the trailer. I think it looks pretty good. I’ve heard that it will be on lds.org at some point so hopefully I will see it.
- Did you get dumped on with rain on Wednesday or Thursday? Your weather looks pretty nice right now for this week. Yes, more so Thursday. Luckily, we were inside for most of the day.
- What are 5 positive things from the week? 1) We had lots of service opportunities this week. 2) I learned a lot of great things from the mission tour. 3) My birthday cake/surprise arrived here without a glitch.
- How was the move that you helped with? Well we only helped with one of the moves because the other people ended up being earlier than we thought. Both families are members. The family leaving went to Erie, PA. He is going to be one of the assistant DA's for Erie county. The other family moved from the ward above us but they have been coming to the branch for a few months now.
- How are things with your investigators?
- How are things with the ice cream lady? Good, we keep just keep talking to her as she is driving around.
- What about the other family you met/talked to after her? We have not talked with her since.
- How are S, P, L, G, J & the gang? Boy is that ever a saga. Let's just say people need to date people that are their own age and not be cranky. . . I will leave it at that. Basically G & S are out of the picture. S has been out of the pic for a while. G has moved out and does not really talk to P & J. I don't know what’s going to happen with J. Right now they are kind of stagnant with all that is going on. We’re hoping to be able to move forward here soon.
- S? I don't really know about the prayer dreams. We have not really asked. We’re just happy that she is still meeting with us.
- Media referral that requested bible and BOM? We dropped him because he seems to be avoiding us.
- Neighbor of member that told you to visit the neighbor? Well a pretty cool thing happened there. We have not been teaching her at all but we did help clean her big Victorian style house on Thursday along with some members of the branch. It almost did not go through because of poor planning on our part but we figured things out and it ended up working out. We’re hoping to get more of the branch involved with her.
- Any new leads or prospects? We saw S last night and her boyfriend was there. He does not really belong to a religion so we have started teaching him.
- Can we do anything for you or pray specifically for anything/anyone? No, just keep doing what you are doing and pray that everyone will progress toward their baptismal dates.
- Are your baptisms still planned for Aug. 30 & Sept 20? We have moved the baptisms set for Aug. 30th to the end of September because they are just not ready yet. The other one is still on for Sept 20.
- Anything exciting or funny that you'd like to share? On Wednesday I will conduct my first baptism interview for one of the Dubois Elders’ investigators. In branch council we watched 2 leadership training videos that were really good and worth your time to watch. Here’s the link https://www.lds.org/callings/leadership-and-teaching/2014-annual-auxiliary-training?lang=eng#media=. They are the first 2 videos at the top. I find it interesting that the church is conducting a lot of their training videos using the “Come Follow Me” format. The sit in a circle and each of them are contributing to the discussion.
- How are the meals coming along? Anything exciting? They are going pretty good but they have been kind of slow. They just started passing the sign up sheet in RS. Hopefully we will get more meals scheduled soon. We had a big turkey dinner with the S family yesterday.
- Members? How are they doing? They are doing great.
Another week in the books and lots to look forward to. Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes,
gifts and cards. I felt the love!!!
Love,
Elder Muir


No comments:
Post a Comment