D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 68...Transfer #12 & Last Report from the Ridgway Branch


September 22, 2014

Transfer #12 & Last Report from the Ridgway Branch



     Before I get to the questions, I decided to send a quick email with the scoop on transfers.  I was so excited about transfers that I thought this info would tide you over until I can answer your questions. 

     So…I am getting transferred and I am training.  Yes, that means I am doubling into an area.  “Doubling in” (or sometimes whitewashing) to an area means that both missionaries are new to the area.  So, neither myself or the new missionary is going to have a clue what is going on when we get to our area tomorrow.  I’m hoping there is another set of missionaries already in the ward that will know a little about what’s going on in our area.  But whatever, I’m excited and know that things will work out the way they are supposed to.  It will be a good learning experience in all aspects… training, new area and relying on the spirit to guide our efforts.  It will really push us to get out and meet the members and work with the ward.  It will be hard work, but I’m up for the challenge.  Transfer calls came on Saturday and I found out that I was leaving the Ridgway branch.  However, I kept having a feeling that wouldn’t be all that would be asked of me for this transfer.   All through church yesterday I still had an uneasy feeling and I kept replaying in my head what I would do if training really did come my way, sure enough later that day I got the call to train.  So I am in for an adventure for the next 3 months.   I will keep the new missionary for 2 transfers and train him.  That means I’ll stay put through at least through the middle of December.       

     Elder B will be training as well and we are both are excited.  Elder B will be staying in St. Marys (Ridgway branch) and will be the new district leader.   

 

     I know it’s going to be an adventure, but who said missions are not adventurous.  I am almost packed, I just need to get all my odds and ends stuff packed now. Hopefully I can get a letter out by Wednesday to let you know where I’ll be (that way you won’t have to wait until Monday to find out). 

 

      Pres. Johnson sent this in his weekly email.  Elder Oaks said this about callings…At this conference we have seen the release of some faithful brothers, and we have sustained the callings of others. In this rotation—so familiar in the Church—we do not “step down” when we are released, and we do not “step up” when we are called. There is no “up or down” in the service of the Lord. There is only “forward or backward,” and that difference depends on how we accept and act upon our releases and our callings.”

 

     So now you have the scoop on transfers.  Sounds like you had a fun anniversary and had quite an adventure.  Glad to hear that you like the My Family booklet from the church.   I think it is great little tool for family history.  I love that the church is making such a big push for it.  I can't wait to get some of the stories from you.  So here is the final report from the Ridgway branch/St. Marys area.  

  1.  How was your week?  What were the highs/lows?  This week has been a pretty awesome week and very busy.  A high was going on exchanges with the zone leaders.  We didn’t really have any lessons but we made some good contacts with members, less actives and a few other people.  It was fun going on exchange with them and getting to know them.  Unfortunately, I won't get to go on exchanges with them again so I really don't know them that well.  The district meeting that I did on Wednesday was a high and I really enjoyed doing it.  I think everyone in the district liked it as well.  I taught the lesson from  PMG chapter 6 and talked about Christ like attributes and why they are important.  We talked a lot about how to develop attributes that will make us more powerful and effective missionaries of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  we need to be Christlike missionaries before we can teach our investigators about it.  We also talked about how the Christlike attributes are what allow us to be become perfect like Him.  The Savior has shown the way and set the perfect example.  The invitation to follow Chirst is an invitation to follow His example and become like Him.   We followed up with a discussion about  Ether 12:27  And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.  We are still are going to have weaknesses and we’re never going to become perfect in this life.  We just need to keep trying and recognize our weaknesses and be willing and anxious to improve.  It’s important to remember the example that the Savior set and learn that becoming like Christ is a lifelong pursuit.   Another high was Thursday we went up to the S family’s farm and split logs for him.  (Boy, I am going to be one buff missionary from lifting all of those logsJ  I think we should invest in a wood burning heater because it is quite a work out lifting and splitting all of those logs.  It gives you nice buff arms J  The cool thing about our visits is that Bro. S has a non member brother that has been living with them over the summer to help them take care of their garden.  It has been cool to talk with him and see his heart soften over the summer.  He is not taking the lessons or anything but seeds have definitely been planted and there may be opportunities down the road to be baptized.  The low has been been trying to pack and the anticipation of transfers and all that entails.  You know me, I don’t like the unknown.  I’ll be happy tomorrow to know where I’m going and who my new comp is.  Another low was Friday night.   We had a sit down with a less active lady that has a pretty rough & sad past.  She has been a member for about 10 years.  Unfortunately, she has a terrible alcohol addiction.  She has been drinking since about the age of 15.  To tell you how bad it is, she told us once when she got arrested she had a blood alcohol reading of a .37 (most people would die with a level that high).  However, since she has been drinking for so long and she drinks so much it does not really affect her.  She has built up a tolerance to alcohol.  To make a long story short, she just got out of jail and is trying really hard to stay sober, but it is really hard for her to see her purpose in life and she’s really struggling right now.  My heart aches for her and I wanted to cry when we were with her on Friday because of everything she has gone through.  She said something very profound which we all need to take heed to…"addictions destroy you".  That statement is very true and nothing good comes from addiction.  We can’t serve two masters and exact obedience is the only safeguard we have.  Elder L. Tom Perry said, “The discipline contained in daily obedience and clean living and wholesome lives builds an armor around you of protection and safety from the temptations that beset you as you proceed through mortality.”
  2. What's the scoop with transfers?  Are you staying or going?  What about Elder B and the rest of your District?  You saw above what is happening with the two of us.  One of the sisters in Brookville is leaving to be a sister training leader (STL).  So there’s the scoop on transfers. 
  3. If you're leaving, who's the new DL?  Elder B is the new district leader (DL).  He will be training and be the DL. 
  4. Were you able to check out the St. Mary's Bavarian festival this past week?  How was it?  Yes, some members took us on Saturday after we were done doing some fall clean up and they bought us lunch.  Other than that we did not really hang out there.  It’s basically like Draper Days at the park with all of the booths etc. 
  5. How were the exchanges with the ZL's this past week?  Exchanges were awesome.  We got a lot done and it was fun getting to know both of them and get their input on things and how to improve. 
  6. How's the weather?  It has been decent, it was rainy yesterday but other than that it has been pretty nice. 
  7. If leaving, were you able to say goodbye to members & get pictures?  I was able to say goodbye but I was not able to get any pictures. 
  8. What are your feelings about transfers?  I am excited and ready for it to be over.  Transfers always shorten the week up, cut into our work time and take a while to adjust to.
  9. What are 5 positive things from the week?  Exchanges and district meeting.
  10. Any service opportunities?  We went to the S family’s farm,  but that is pretty much it. 
  11. How are things with your investigators?
    1.  Any new leads/finds?  Well, we found a few solid people this week.  We have been trying to meet with this former (investigator) forever, but he keeps saying he is busy.  However, the other night he finally let us in and we had an awesome lesson with him.  His name is D.  We also found some people that are potentials and they seem to have great potential.  I wish I could be here to see what happens with all of this but I know I’m going where I’m supposed to be and Elder B will do a great job taking care of the Ridgway branch.  
    2. Any new info on S & N?   Not much, apparently they are moving out of where they are living now.  I’m not sure what is going to happen.  They are sort of at a standstill.  We have a lesson planned with them tonight. 
    3. What about  J & P?  They have been kind of avoiding us.  I’m not sure what is really going on there.  Who knows what is going to happen with them.
    4. Ice Cream lady?  We tried to have a lesson with her last week but she did not show up.  So nothing new is really going on with her. 
    5. S & A?  Have not talked to them.  For right now they are on pause. 
  12. If you're getting transferred do you have a preference of where you want/hope to go?  It would be fun to go down to the Pittsburgh area or go back out by Harrisburg, but I really don't care. 
  13. Is there anything we can do for you?  No
  14. Do you need anything?  No
  15. Can we pray for anything?  Pray that all will go well with transfers and that over the next few weeks I can get things figured out with the new area and fulfill my assignment as trainer.  
Check out the new Pittsburgh Pennsylvania blog that Sis. Johnson is doing @ ppmemories.blogspot.com

Well you now have my last report from St. Mary's, over and out from St. Marys/Ridgway branch and onto another adventure.  Love you all!!

Elder Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment