November 24, 2014
- How was your week? What were the highs and lows? The cold and the wind have definitely made the week rather miserable. It was in the teens for several days and only rose above freezing after the Saturday evening session of Stake Conference. The warm up only came after an ice storm left many members unable to attend the priesthood leadership and general adult session. Unfortunately, we spent Tuesday (the coldest day of the week) walking around in my area in State College. I’ve learned to be very grateful for a bus. You have no idea how nice it is to have a warm bus to get on and spend a few minutes warming up. The bus will definitely be nice when that is my only way to get around again when I’m back in State College. Another positive and thing to be grateful for is that we didn’t get the snow that other parts got (Erie & Buffalo). I’m glad I’m not in the Erie walk area because I heard they got 3ft of snow and that would not be any fun. Another high is we got some ward missionaries and that is pretty cool. They both seem like awesome people that will be a big asset for the ward. We had a cool lesson with one of the Bellefonte investigators that is a part member family. The boyfriend is less active and his girlfriend is a non member. We had a way good lesson with both of them. The less active BF was great at testifying and adding his input to what we taught. Overall, it was a pretty good week.
- How was stake conference? Saturday session & Sunday session? Conference was awesome. It was all about missionary work. President and Sister Johnson both gave awesome talks. Another person talked about service missions. It was amazing to hear how many different kinds of service missions there are and the opportunities there are to serve. My favorite talk was about obedience. She talked about how we need to be obedient no matter what, even if the result takes a while. She reminded us that we need to be patient with the Lord’s timing. It was good to hear that it all happens in the Lord’s timing and He is very aware of our individual circumstances. Even though things get difficult we need to trust in His plan for us and seek His guidance.
- Where did you go to Stk Conf...Altoona? Is it a long drive? We went to Altoona for the Saturday session and it was broadcast to all of the buildings for the Sunday session. Altoona is about 45 min. to an hour from State College.
- Were you able to see people from the Ridgway branch? Yes, it was great. I was able to see President W (Ridgway branch president) and a few other people from the branch.
- How's the weather? Any snow? Well at least we are not like the Buffalo area with 7ft of snow and flash flooding now. However, we did get our fair share of cold last week. Like I said above, Tuesday was only in the low 20s/high teens for the high, but with the wind it was like single digits. It was pretty darn cold. Then today it is like 65…go figure. What a difference a week makes. The biggest weather adventure was on Saturday. Saturday afternoon they closed the freeway from State College to Altoona because of freezing rain. It was pretty dangerous with lots of accidents. We were not affected by it because we arrived before they shut down the freeway. Our ride had to be there early for some other meetings. So we missed all the excitement. However, most of the people traveling for the general session on Saturday didn’t make it. Some people in my ward crashed and totaled their car but luckily they were OK. Just what you wanted to hear from me after the safety warning that you just gave me. Sorry to hear about all of the accidents that missionaries have been involved with. Lucky for you I’ll be riding a bus for most of the winter and I can walk if it is really bad.
- How are things with the companions and the trio? Things are going well. Tell me about them? Where are they from? Elder J is from Tri Cities Washington area. Elder R is from Alberta, Canada but now lives in West Valley. How long have they been out? Elder R has been 6 months and Elder J was at the MTC with me. I knew Elder R a little bit before, but not much. Are they DL or ZL's? Elder R is the DL.
- Will you still attend your State College ward or go to Bellefonte or both? I know that I’ll for sure go to my ward and maybe make it to the last hour of Bellefonte.
- Any service opportunities this week? Yes, we were able to help some people that are remodeling their house. We painted some stuff and we helped them put up a cabinet.
- Were you able to do any Melchezidek priesthood splits/exchanges to your area? Yes, I went on Wednesday night. It was good because we got in with a couple of single women. We are trying to set it up where I can do it at least one a week while I am in the trio…that is my goal.
- How are things with your investigators? Well, I have only been texting with them. I am hoping to see them tomorrow when I go on another priesthood exchange. I hope they are not slipping through the cracks. I think things have just been really busy with them.
- Who have you been teaching this week? I met a bunch of people from the Bellefonte ward. They have some cool people with a lot of potential. I’ve done a little bit of teaching with the people in my area too.
- What are 5 positive things from this week? 1) It is warm now J 2) We survived the cold and the wind. 3) Stake conference was pretty awesome. 4) It is almost Thanksgiving. 4) I am 10 days away from my final quarter. 5) Oh yeah, another is it is the end of the month and my money is running low after getting a few winter things. I was praying that some cash might show up soon. Of course, Sis. Buehner saved the day and it was quite a nice surprise. Be sure to tell her thank you for me and I will send her a thank you today.
- How have your dinner appts. been this week? They have been OK, things have slowed down a little bit. With the holidays I think a lot of people will be going home so we’ll see how it plays out.
I hope you get this with all your computer problems and it works. Glad you were able to send your email to me.
I sent it to dad’s email too so hopefully you’ll be able to get into one of the
3 emails to get it.
Love you,
Elder Muir
No comments:
Post a Comment