D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Week 94...Preparing for Baptism & the Bug



March 23, 2015


Boy, it’s been another interesting week.  Illness seems to be a common thing everywhere right at the moment.  We have been sick like the rest of you.  Our ward has had its share of illness and Elder T had his turn this week.  He came down with some sort of stomach bug/flu, but we’re still not sure what it is.  He thinks it may be the meds that the doctors gave him from the ER visit, but with all the sickness going around it’s hard to be sure.  He was dry heaving, not feeling good and running a fever on Tuesday night and so we were told to take a down day on Wednesday.  He still didn’t feel great Thursday so we did a half day.  That is cool about Bro. Lawrence serving in Meadville and being here for the dedication of the Meadville chapel.  I don’t recognize the lady's name (Sis. Lang) he mentioned.   
1.      How was your week?  What were the highs/lows?  Because of the sickness it was another slow week; however, we were still able to get a fair amount of stuff done.  The biggest setback was Elder T being sick.  So that was kind of a bummer.  We did quite a bit of sitting around not being able to do much since he did not feel well.  The high out of all that is that I still have not gotten sick and I hope to stay clear of it.  A low has been the temps have dropped again for the past few days so it has been kind of cold, but at least there has been no snow.  The biggest high of the week was RR  passed her baptismal interview and she is all set and ready to go to be baptized on Saturday.  It will be great to be able to report on that next week.  Another high was we had 3 investigators at church yesterday.  
2.      How was church yesterday?  It was good.  The ward is very very small.  Like I said before, it is a huge ward it’s just all of them are less active (LA).  The good thing is that there is a lot of potential to reactivate.  I think I only counted a little over 50 people.  I still don't really know a whole lot of people, but I am slowly starting to figure out who people are.  The priesthood lesson was interesting. It was based on Pres. Eyring’s last priesthood session talk.  He talked about the importance of the Aaronic priesthood and the future of the church.  They gave some of the stats of the ward and things like that and it was kind of sad to see how much they’re struggling in the ward.  It would be nice if they could get a senior couple here again.  They had one about a year ago.  So as a result of church, I found there is a lot of work to be done.  It’s definitely different than what I experienced in State College.  
3.      Did you meet a lot of people this week?  Kind of, we did meet a LA lady that is pretty cool.  She got baptized a few years ago and we had a pretty good lesson with her.  We talked about the part in the BOM when Nephi is bound with cords and breaks free from them.  I also met a few people at church yesterday. 
4.      When you went to stake conference last week did you stay overnight on Saturday?  Yes, we spent the night with the Jamestown elders.  
5.      How are things with you and Elder T?  Are you getting more adjusted to your surroundings and him?  Things seem to be going good.  There are still random things that he does not care about, but really I am kind of just letting him go unless they are major things. I feel like it just makes things worse if I try to argue about it.  I wish it didn’t make things worse, but unfortunately that’s what I have to do for now.  So I don't know if that is what I should be doing or what.  It is sort of a balancing act and I have to pick my battles.  I have found that just loving him and leading by example is the best thing that I can do right now.  But he is a cool person and I really like him.  He’s come from a rough patch and had kind of sad life.  His dad died from ALS when he was in high school and they struggled financially a lot of the time too.  So his home life was kind of sad.  We were talking the other day and he told me that after his dad died his mom never really made food at home they would just go out and eat somewhere.  So he is pretty cool other than his small little “not wanting to do anything” sometimes.  Yes, I am getting more and more adjusted to the area.  Luckily, we have a list of a bunch of people that the Bishop wants us to try and see. The goal is to stay healthy and busy this week.  
6.      How are his stomach issues?  Anymore ER?  No more ER visits.  His stomach is still not doing so well so he just has to watch what he eats.  So basically it is still about the same.  The only problem this week was he had the stomach flu and was in all day Wednesday with a fever.  So we stayed in but there was kind of no point to that because I guess he can't really sleep during the day.  He did not want to sit at the apartment all day so he decided that we should go spend the day with the family that RR  is friends with.  I didn’t agree because he was not really resting trying to get better.  So really no problems solved yet.  
7.      What’s your guess on Derek’s mission call?   I think he is going to Frankfurt Germany 
10.  How are things with the investigators?
a.       RR?  She is doing great.  Like I said she passed her baptism interview and is getting baptized on Saturday.  Pray for good things,  right now all systems are a go.  
b.      Any new leads/investigators?  We have a lady named A that they were teaching before I got here and we are seeing her tomorrow.  She and her daughter were at church yesterday.  
c.       Less actives?  Things are going well.  I still don't really know a lot of them or about them though.  
d.      Service opportunities?  We helped a less active lady clean her house on Saturday.  
11.  What are 5 positive things from the week?  1) RR is getting baptized.  2) I didn't get sick.  3) The weather is starting to get better.  
12.  Why do you have a truck?  Because in the winter there is a lot of snow.  Lots of the roads are either dirt or don't get plowed very well so we need 4x4 to get around. Now it is really muddy, so occasionally we can get stuck and I don't think a Corolla would do so well here.  The moving crew missionaries have a 2014 or 2015 Chevy Silverado.  Yeah, the mission cars are always brand new when we get them. Our truck only has about 18,000 miles on it right now.  It actually is nice because like I said a lot of places are a mud pit right now so it is very easy to get stuck.   
13.  Any update on the apartment?  No, not really.  President seemed to not think it was time for a move.  He just said to try and keep it as clean as possible.  So I think right now we are just going to stay put.  
14.  Any mission events this week (Zone Conf/training etc).  My last zone conference is Wednesday and that is about it.  I get to give my departing testimony at zone conference.  
16.  Any meal time appts/stories?  Well we don’t really have lots of dinner appointments.  We just eat at home usually.  
17.  Are you happy & healthy?  Yes.  I am just hoping that I can stay clear of what Elder T and everyone else has.  I seem to be doing well right now.  
  1. What can we do for you and what can we pray for?  Please pray that I can continue to get to know people and we can stay healthy.  Also pray that all will go well with RR’s baptism on Saturday.  
Well there is my week.  It was kind of boring, but I guess being sick is sort of exciting.  

Attached are some pictures.  The one with all the people is the mass exodus out of the library the day Penn State closed early a few weeks ago because of the ice, snow and cold.  The other is Elder T and your favorite missionary.

Love,
Elder Muir


No comments:

Post a Comment