D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Monday, April 6, 2015

Week 96...22 Months & General Conference



Week 96…April 6, 2015

Wow… this weekend a new adventure begins for 2 weeks (finishing out this transfer). Coming up at the end of the questions you will get the full news story from the Pennsylvania Pittsburgh Mission with Elder Muir reporting.  With that news you are probably wondering what on earth is going on so read the last question first and you can get the news. 

1. How was your week?  What were the highs and lows?  Well the high was definitely Easter and conference.  I really loved it all and felt the spirit. The only down side to that was the place we went on Sunday was kind of chaotic so it was really hard to pay attention and focus.  Another high was we got a phone call from some missionaries in California saying they were teaching a family there that was getting baptized on Friday this week. They are moving out here to our area at the end of the month.  It sounds like they are younger family with a 4 year old son.  She originally grew up here and is now moving back to take care of her mom.  We talked to her on the phone to give her some info about the ward.  It sounds like she’ll be a great asset for the ward.  So we will how it all works out.  The biggest low was the situation with Elder T (info below).  But life moves on and who knows I may end up being comps with him again depending on how fast he figures things out.  
2.   It looks like your weather is rainy this week…how’s it been?  Have the trees started to bloom?  Yes, it has been rainy. No blossoms yet, but I would imagine it would be soon.  It even snowed a little bit this week.  It was kind of crazy, we decided to go up to the north end of our area to try and find someone.  That was an exciting adventure that you would have loved…not.  I say that because it had just snowed that morning and I don’t think all of the other snow had quite melted yet.  So on our backroad adventure to find this person our truck and 4 wheel drive came in handy.  The roads were snow covered out on the back roads.  Unfortunately, we couldn't find where we were going.  We had an idea, but we were scared we were going to get stuck if we tried to go down their driveway.  We both looked at each other and decided we would come back when the weather was better.    
3. Are you adjusting to the area and getting around better?  Any mission boundary exits this week?  Yes, no adventures with the mission boundaries.  We did not even go close to out of bounds. We don’t really have that many miles left in our mile budget.  
4. What did you do for Easter?  We went to the for it.  They had a good ham lunch for Easter.  They had a bunch of family there and RR and her dad came. We tried to watch conference there but realized that it wasn’t a great idea because it was chaos.  Elder T and I both decided it wasn’t the best idea.  We both knew it probably wouldn’t be real calm, but we went because we knew they probably would not watch conference if we didn't come.  So we took one for the team :) 
5. What about general conference…where were you for the Saturday sessions? Priesthood?  Sunday sessions?  All of Saturday we were at the church and that was peaceful and quiet because there were not a lot of people there.  Like I said above, on Sunday we went to the MM family.  Again, it wasn’t a great idea and it was kind of crazy.  There were a few talks that I got through, but other than that it was hard to focus.  Pres. Monson’s talk was really the only one I could fully understand and get.  The others I picked up bits and pieces because of the noise and also the internet kept being slow and going out.  
6. Have you had many meal appointments?  No, not many.  We had one with an older couple named the K family.  They remind me of gma and gpa Muir.  She is from Switzerland and he is from Michigan.  It was a fun dinner appointment.  
7. Did you get the Easter package?  Yes, thanks.  Thanks for the pictures from Bro. Lawrence.  We found the apartment and I got a picture of it.  Also the downtown Meadville picture was cool too.  I know where that is also.  
8. How’s Elder T’s health issues…any better?  Read the bottom question and that will explain it all.  
9. How’s the ward, have you met more people and made some connections?  Well kind of.  I still am learning about the people. With Elder T and his health issues he has lacked motivation to do anything.  So I’m still am trying to figure things out.  But now I will figure things out really fast.  
10.How are things with the investigators?
a.  RR…how’s she doing & how’s her mom?  She is doing well. Her mom is out of the hospital so that is good.  She has been busy and now she has a job.  She was able to watch bits and pieces of conference.  
b.  A & daughter?  Well we have not seen her this week because she has had some pancreas problems and it has been giving her grief.  So we had to cancel our appointment with her.  
c. Lady that marks scriptures and stayed for 3rd hour last week?  She is doing well.  Life is stressful for her.  She is in the motherhood stage with 2 little kids.  One is 2 and the other is about 9 months.  So she is really busy with kids and they drive her up the wall sometimes.  She still continues to read and tries to look things up and keeps going.  
d. Any new leads/investigators?  We did pick up a new investigator on Monday night.  She is a sister of somebody in the bordering ward.  Elder T taught her a bit when he was in the sister’s ward and then she was dropped for a while.  Things seem to be going better now so hopefully we can teach her and help her move forward.  
11. Service opportunities?  Not really.  We occasionally help a member move random furniture.  He is a guy that Pickers would love to come and see.   
12. Is there anything you need or that we can specifically pray for?  Just that the trio will go well and that we can get the things done we need to throughout the rest of the transfer.  
13. Any funny stories?  So all 3 of us in the trio have Zachary for our first name. 
14. Favorite talks from conference?  I liked what I could hear of Elder Holland’s talk and loved his opening story.  I also really liked Sis. Burton’s talk about the importance of fatherhood.  Then even though it was hard to understand, I enjoyed president Packer’s talk.  It was sort of an odd subject, but I really really liked it and his bluntness and straightforwardness.  The other one that I liked was Elder Ballard’s priesthood talk about raising the bar for the future generation and returning missionaries.  He also gave great counsel on marriage.  Let’s just say it was sort of a wakeup call for me with all the stuff about family and marriage since that is in my near future.  It was really cool, but weird to listen to the counsel and advice for all of the stuff of real life and family things in the future.  
15. Any other news you'd like to share?  LIVE update…the BREAKING NEWS report is Elder T finally came to the conclusion that the best thing for him to do was to go home and get doctors and tests done there since there’s not a lot of great medical around here.  Things were starting to get a little worse this week.  It was quite sudden…he made a phone call on Friday telling the office that was his final decision.  Yesterday we got a call saying pack your bags.  His mom came and picked him up at 8:30 this morning here in Meadville.  She lives in DC now, so she just drove up and got him.  She  took us to breakfast at Burger King before they left.  So now you’re probably asking what is happening with me.  Well I am pretty much doing what I did when Elder R left the last 2 weeks of the transfer.  I’m going to be a trio with the other Elders in the district (Franklin, PA) and we’ll be running between our 2 areas.  It’s going to be an interesting 2 weeks, but we are going to make it work.   
           
Well there is the adventure for the week.  Things took quite a curveball to say the least, but I could kind of see it coming.  I hope he can get the help he needs and they can figure out what’s wrong. He’s a good guy.

Also, I have got class ideas picked out for school.  I am just waiting for registration to open next week and I will get it finalized.  I will send you a copy when I get it done.  Also, have you talked to anyone about the scholarship stuff because I have still not heard back from Tyler?  

Elder Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment