D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Monday, May 4, 2015

Week 100...23 Months in the Mission & My 2 New Favorite Hymns


Week 100...May 4, 2015
Elder Muir & Elder L at April's transfer meeting in Pitt
Note from mom: This email marks the 100th week of dedicated, determined & faithful service as a missionary in the Pennsylvania Pittsburgh mission.  We’ve hit triple digits…a day that was a long time coming, but is finally here.  Thirty days & counting :)

Once again we had a good week.  We got some great & exciting news last week from Pres Johnson.  I don’t want to spoil the surprise yet so that’s all I’m going to say now and then it will be explained later.  I’ll just say my new favorite hymns are I Love to See the Temple & Oh, How Lovely Was the Morning.  You might have guessed by now, but details will follow below.

1.      How was your week?  What were the highs/lows?  It’s been a good week.  We were able to meet with more members and get things more organized and we did lots of service.  So that has been FUN and it has kept us busy.  I think I will be able to put “moving specialist” as something on my resume with all the people we’ve moved over the past 2 years.  We helped move some more people this week.  We are helping another one move this weekend.  They are moving to the Erie ward so he can continue with orthopedic residency.  Also, we helped a family spread 8 tons of gravel onto their driveway.  Luckily, the truck spread it out for us and we just had to even it out and move some of the little piles around.  The weather was good this weekend.  However, the weather leads to my low for the week.  It’s not much fun being stuck in a shirt and tie when everyone else is in shorts & a t-shirt and out having a good time in the sun.  Occasionally the weather gives me a trunky moment…only 4 more weeks until I can be normal again.  So this week was great with lots of service and meeting members.  The biggest low is truly seeing how poor Crawford county is…particularly Meadville.  There are about 10 government housing complexes just in small Meadville and it is pretty sad to see how some of the people live around here.  The poverty creates lots of drama for the ward in regards to welfare needs and also just people accepting and understanding the needs of others.  There is lots of random drama here that I wish we, as missionaries, didn’t know about.  Love is the key and if people would make the needed sacrifices and love like Jesus did many of the problems would be solved.  I bore my testimony yesterday in sacrament meeting because it was my last fast Sunday in the mission field L. 
2.      Do you have any info regarding our Mother’s Day skype?  I think right now we are planning on going to the T family’s (elder that I served the mini mission with last transfer) house to skype.  They told us to come around 1:00 pm our time (so 11:00 am Utah time).  I hope that works out, let me know if that does not work.  When you read this, email me back ASAP to let me know if that works. 

         How’s Meadville and the ward?  Meadville and the ward are good.  The ward needs help in multiple ways…happy hearts & willing hands.  I’m glad I’m not the bishop.  I love the area, but the problems and things that the ward is up against are more than I care to know and have the power to resolve.   

5.      Tell me about some of the members/meals you’ve had recently?  We have had quite a few meals this week.  One family that was cool to meet with is the K family.  Bro. Lawrence will find this interesting…Bro. K’s brother was the first bishop in Meadville and helped get the church built here in Meadville in the late 60’s.  It was cool to hear their stories about the church and the Easter candy  and stuff they sell to help raise money to build the church.
6.      How are things with you & Elder L?  Things are going great.  We are getting along well and have loved being together.  The ward LOVES him because he can play the piano.  The ward has not had a pianist/organist for 5 years since the organist died 5 years ago.  So tell Boris that his piano skills will for sure come in handy on the mission. 
7.      How are things with the investigators?
a.      A? She is doing well.  We just got her set with another baptism date on June 13th.  She is pretty excited and so are we J. The bummer is her granddaughter, who is 14, went missing the other day.  She ran away from home.  They think she is with her boyfriend who is 18 and is pretty much trouble.  We were talking yesterday and she said they may have found her, but she was not sure.  Hopefully all ends well with her.  Keep her in your prayers, please.   
b.       RR?  She continues to do well.  Work is keeping her busy and stuff.  She is still making lots of progress and enjoying things, so I think all is well with her.  
d.      Family moving from California?  They finally are here.  She and her son came to church and we visited with them a couple of times.  She is pretty cool.  She is 29 and is ex-navy.  Her husband just went back to California for another 3 years for the Navy.  It will be interesting to see how she adapts here in Meadville.  She definitely likes having the missionaries help her, but I hope soon the ward can do some good fellowshipping with her.  
e.       Referral you got last week?  It ended up falling through.  
f.       Less actives?  I think it is about the same.  We are still just trying to figure out who people are and getting to know them.  
g.      List from the ward that you’re visiting?  The visits have been going well.  We have met most of them, but we have not really been able to sit down and talk with a lot of them.   
8.      Any interesting mission news? (BTW, that’s a bummer about the temple rules change and not being able to go.)  Yes, we do have some interesting mission news and it’s interesting that you mention the temple rules change.   Here’s where the exciting news from Pres. Johnson in the first paragraph comes into play.  So like I said last week when I told you about the new mission temple rules…the temple in Palmyra is just barely over 3 hours from Meadville.  Both Elder L and I wrote in our emails to Pres. J last week that we were quite disappointed about the rules and we were joking around saying “really, we are so close”.  But we came to terms with it and weren’t too bothered by it.  Besides, it didn’t bother me too much because I would be able to go in 5 weeks at home.  It’s not so easy for Elder L, the closest temple to him is the Anchorage Alaska temple and that’s 14 hours away.  The next closest is Vancouver BC and that’s 30 hours away.  Boy, are we ever spoiled and blessed to have so many temples close by.  I’m not sure I can even count how many temples are within 14 hours of our home.  We need to take advantage of the blessing of having temples so close to us.  So back to the story, last Monday night I was laying on the couch at like 10 pm and the next thing you know the phone rings and it is Pres. J.  I was rather confused at the reason why he was calling. When I answered he told me to go and get my companion and turn it on speaker.  In the back of my head I thought he might be approving us to go, but I thought it was a long shot.  Then sure enough, he gave us approval to go.  We were both quite excited and can hardly believe he’s letting us go.  He said he based his decision on him mapping the route out and it worked out to be between 3 hr. 15 min & 3 ½ hrs. After talking to a few people in our area about it they said with a pit stop it is about 4 hours, but whatever…we are still going and PJ gave us approval.  We have to be back by 6 pm so it will be any early morning and a LONG day.  The other cool thing is the Sacred Grove is across the street from the temple so if we have time we are going to go over and catch a quick glimpse of the Sacred Grove.  Right now we are planning to go next Friday, May 15th.  Our WML is going to take us.  We are planning to do an endowment session so would you be kind and send me 4 of the male family names that you desperately need help with.
9.      What are 5 positive things from the week?  1) We got approval for the temple.  2) The weather has been decent even though there were a few cold rainy days.  3)  We were able to do a lot of service and help the members with a lot of stuff.  
10.   Any good stories to share?  No, not really but I am sure I will have one next week.  We are going fishing in a pond with MM family on some of their property they own.  I will take pictures too.  
11.   How are things with your new service opportunity at the thrift store?  Good, I guess.  We are still kind of figuring out what we’re supposed to do and things like that, so we will see how it goes.  
12.  What’s your favorite thing about Meadville?  The history and the scenery.  
13.  What/who stands out to you most from each of your areas (what comes to your mind first when you think of that area)?
a.       Camp Hill?  Sis. B  and walking a lot
b.      Lititz?  Amish 
c.       St. Marys/Ridgway?  The branch president and the Kane parade
d.      State College?  Penn State and Catabus and the B family 
e.       Meadville?  ER trip with Elder T and the history of the church/ward here
14.  Any other news you want to share?  I’ve made it 2 years with only speaking 3 times in sacrament meeting.  However, I get to speak again here in the Meadville ward on May 24th.  I am speaking about missionary work and will be speaking with a recently returned missionary from another ward in the stake.   
Well there is the week, hope you enjoyed it :).

Love you & talk to you soon,
Elder Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment