D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Friday, May 22, 2015

Week 102...Surprise!!!


May 22, 2015

SURPRISE J

 

Hey since today is technically our Pday we figured that we would come a little early and send a surprise email.  We were supposed to meet at the church for our temple excursion at 6:20 am and we got here a little after 6:00 am.  I did send you a snail mail last Tuesday but I’m not sure if you’ve received it yet.  I got your final package/letter yesterday so I will answer some of the questions that you put in your package. 

 

Thanks for the summary of ward conference, it sounds like you had a great meeting.  Also, I really liked the analogy that the Bishop gave about the Holy Ghost and airplanes.  I knew that the windows were quite small but that is cool how the pilots pretty much rely on others and their instruments to move around and get direction.  I liked the part about the plane moving on the ground and air traffic control guiding their movement.  It was all a cool concept.  Also, I was studying a talk from the women’s’ conference by Sis. Oscarson and I really liked the story about her daughter defending the role of motherhood at her kids’ school career day.  I thought it was clever and funny.

 

I guess I’ll answer your first question about our mission conference yesterday and the distribution of iPads.  The meeting was just north of Pitt in Cranberry Township.  It was awesome, we had all 200 missionaries gathered in the same meeting and Pres. & Sis. Johnson were quite excited.  Unfortunately, in PJ’s email on Monday he said that the missionaries going home this transfer won’t get an iPad at the meeting…sort of a bummer, but whatever. I guess I will just get my own when I get home.  We spent most of the day training on how we can use the iPad for the good and how it is a tool for us to use and expand our missionary work.  A big chunk of the meeting was spent talking about how to protect ourselves from the dangers of the internet.  We also talked about how we can use it for good.  So even though I am not getting one here, the info is something that I can bring home with me and use as I integrate back into school & normal life.  As Elder Bednar said in education week last year, we need to flood the world with good…#sharegoodness.  So basically it is going to be pretty cool, technology is now going to be part of a mission.  Starting soon, I guess iPads will now be included in your initial call packet.  Missionaries will start preparing with things before they ever enter the MTC.  They are not Facebook savy yet and they don't use the area book stuff yet, those things will be rolled out here in the future.  The social media aspect sounds pretty cool, they are going to be able to face time and skype and message on fb.  It is quite a process and the church has spent long hours & lots of money to roll the program out. Hopefully we will be able to see Boris use technology for good in his mission and see the program work in its entirety.  

 

Well I am running out of time, but I will answer one last thing regarding me getting released as a missionary.  You asked about when I prefer to be released given the crazy schedule for the day…honestly, I don't care.   I’ll be fine with whatever I get.  If I had to choose I’d probably prefer that night after graduation just to make sure I can be up to SLCC on time on Thursday morning.  But whatever the stake works out will be fine.   I love you and will talk to you Monday and give you the full story of the temple excursion.  

 

Love you all,

Elder Muir

 

Below is info from Elder Muir’s snail mail letter we received today…

 

Howdy,

           

I guess we get to converse the old fashioned way this week.  Not much longer and we can talk face to face in person.  I can’t believe we are down to 2 weeks (less by the time you get this).  Boy time is flying fast.

 

We’ve had a great week here in Meadville.  Again, it was filled with lots of service.  We randomly donated blood this week as part of our service.  We also helped a lot of ward members with their yards & cleanup.  It has really been great to get out there and help them with their needs.  We were able to help RR  and her family move a dryer.  She is really going through a lot right now.  Because of her parent’s ill health she has to pretty much take care of the house and day to day things so she is very stressed.  She is very grateful for us and our help including the spirit that we bring.   "A" is almost ready for baptism.  She is so close that we may move her date up to May 31st instead of June 13th.  That would be so awesome if we could make that happen for my last weekend. 

 

Also, we met the kid that got baptized in Florida (Daytona area in the Berry’s mission).  He is originally from the Meadville area but he’s going to school in Florida and is home for the summer.  He is pretty cool, not at all what I was expecting.  He is very, very smart and classy.  He doesn’t look at all like a small town country boy. 

 

Can’t wait to tell you about the temple trip.  Guess I better get this letter in the mail. 

 

Love ya!!!

Elder Muir

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment