Hello to all…
I hope you are all doing well. Well it has officially been a week and
it has been the most stressful but spiritual week of my life. The
schedule has been so crazy, you pull 16 hour days and by about day 4 it really
begins to hit you with burn out and exhaustion. The schedule has been
insane. Think of your most crammed packed scheduled day ever then times
it by like a 100. With that you sometimes really get so physically
spiritually and emotionally exhausted you feel like you have been run over by a
freight train. Before I forget I had a really crappy first night sleep but that
is expected.
My companion has been awesome. His name is Elder Larsen and he is
from Everett, Washington. The other 2 that are in my room are Elder
Whipple from Minersville, UT and his companion is Elder Lewis from Spanish
Fork.
Class has been a real struggle for me the past few days. It is 6
hours a day broken up into 3 hour blocks. Our teachers are Brother
Lisonbee and Brother Godfrey. They are really nice. The first few
days were pretty easy because I was not really tired and I was able to focus
and I was not really homesick. But now that exhaustion and homesickness
are setting in it has been really hard to try and focus.
In class we have really been focusing on how to meet peoples’ needs and
apply the lessons to their needs. That has been one of the biggest
challenges for me to overcome. Brother Lisonbee has really been trying to
push me out of my comfort zone to try and get me to do that. I have
prayed really hard to Heavenly Father to help me with that but it is still my
biggest challenge. I know eventually it will come over time and Heavenly
Father will help me get better at that.
We have been doing tons of role plays which have been fun, but
unfortunately they kind of get boring after a while. Also, as a
companionship we have been teaching investigators. Our investigator is
John (really it is Brother Lisonbee role playing someone.) That is where
I really struggle when I get into that situation. I have been really good
at bearing testimony and teaching the doctrine, but I struggle with asking
questions to get to know his needs.
As I was getting stressed out and homesick I was told by the zone leaders
just to make it to Sunday for church and make it to sacrament and then I would
have time to relax. That reminded me of a talk by Elder Wirthlin called Sunday Will Come. In it he talked
about Christ and how on that Friday as he was crucified, he was humiliated and
bruised. I think about how terribly hard it must have been for Him. But His despair did not linger because Sunday
came and he was resurrected. He uses that in the context of how we all
have our own Fridays in life and our world may be shattered into a million
little pieces and it may seem really hard, but Sunday really will come.
That is how I felt before Sunday but after Sunday I felt so much better.
The devotionals have been really amazing. We had one Sunday night and
then one on Tuesday. The one on Tuesday was the first devotional in the MTC
history held at the Marriott Center. You may have seen something about it
on the news. That walk over there was amazing. Getting out of the
confinement of the MTC was good and it was amazing to walk over there.
Unfortunately I don't really have time to talk about them. However, on
the way back the soccer camp kids were walking around and they were so excited
to see 3000 missionaries walking…seeing the smiles on their faces made my day
and was probably one of the highlights of my week.
Well I am
out of time, so I love you all.
Love,
Elder Muir
Update...Zach has to be at the MTC travel office at 9:00 pm on Sunday, June 16th. We hope to hear from him by phone around 10 or 11 pm that night. His flight leaves @ 1:00 am (ouch) and goes through Atlanta. He arrives in Pittsburgh Monday morning at 9:00 am.
Today (Friday, June 14th) is the last day to use DearElder.com to send him a letter at the MTC. Letters have to be submitted to DearElder.com by noon in order to be delivered. He would love to hear from you before he leaves.
Aw Smack, I will pray for you and that your ability to seek out what others need will come easier for you. Maybe you can pretend you're a journalist and you can get the answers that way? I hear such a change in you already and it's only been a week and a half. I love that talk from Elder Wirthlin as well. I'm sorry that you had a "Friday". And I'm glad you did keep your eyes and heart looking towards, Sunday ".
ReplyDeleteI'll write you on Dear Elder today and see if I can get hill to get a letter off before she heads to YC on a few hours. For get about home and throw yourself into the people. We'll always be here cheering you on, and the people you are meant to meet and reach and be with will only have you for a brief moment. Give them the attention and love that only you can provide to them. Focus on them and you will forget about us :) but only for 2 years. ;) :D. Love you.