I hope you are all doing well. Things have been going great and it's finally starting to get a little easier. It's still not all the way there, but I think part of the mission is not having things easy all of the time. I've been reading my patriarchal blessing and I'm slowing seeing things happen that are promised there. I want you all to know how much I love you and appreciate all the things that you do for me. Mom, I'm beginning to understand why you hate laundry and all the other day to day tasks that you do for me. I have not grown to love having to do it all either :) It makes me realize how thankful I am for you and all the sacrifices that you make for me. I'm so grateful for all that you do for me. You're amazing and you and dad have gotten me to where I am today.
Dad, that's awesome that the bishopric is working on putting a ward area book together. Having the ward do those sort of things are very helpful for the missionaries. Our ward is mostly working with a lot of less actives. I really appreciate and love you. You're a great example of being a worthy priesthood holder. I've been thinking lately about your mission. What are things that you remember? What are some cool stories that you had or things that you did if times or areas were hard? I know you may not remember tons, but I want to hear more about your mission.
Derek, I bet you've been busy at work and volunteering at Thanksgiving Point, but I want to hear from you again. I want you to know a mission is the greatest thing and will be a blessing in your life. Start preparing NOW!!! Continue to study Preach My Gospel (harder). Continue to read the BOM and start and finish it several times before you serve your mission. Also, pay attention in Sunday School to the new "Come Follow Me" lessons, the topics there are what you are teaching in the mission field. Start watching "The District" dvd's. We watch the individual fundamental segments, but also watch the episodes. They are great and the videos and the people they use are good. I love you and miss you.
Megan, I'm so sorry the I've not responded to many of your letters. It gets kind of crazy sometimes for me. I'll try and be better at writing personal responses. It sounds like you had a blast at Tahoe. I wish I could have been there, I can't wait to go when I get back. Glad you liked Moose for waterskiing. Bummer that Leslie's bear bait didn't work. Sounds like you and mom have been BUSY with the craft room. You'll have to send me a picture when it's done. It's crazy to think school starts in 3 weeks. That's cool about Mr. Z being the principal.
I love your closing line to each letter, so I might use it too. Love you forever and love you always!
Elder Muir
xoxoxo
- So are the cicadas in
your apartment or just all around outside and annoying because of the
noise? No, they are not in our apartment they
just are all over outside and they are very annoying.
- What were the highs and
lows this week? Well the highs are the BOM class and
the weather has been a lot cooler and not a lot of humidity. Also
another high was getting the sisters back in the area and seeing them on occasion.
A low was not tons of dinner appointments this week and unfortunately I
did not buy tons of food last week. I had enough to get by for the days that
we did not have appointments, but I was living on a prayer. But
today I am going to stock up on food. Also another high was Saturday
night we finally decided to go buy a puzzle from Barnes Noble down the
street to keep us entertained when we are at the apartment. I will
send pictures of it but it is this panoramic picture of Times Square.
Also last night for study we decided to read in the Christlike attribute
section of PMG and we studied about diligence. It was amazing
because the spirit was so strong. We were studying that because lately
we have not been talking to a whole lot of people as they pass us by on
the street. So we are really trying to be good/diligent about it
this week. Before we went to bed we gave each other blessings to
help us be diligent and talk with everyone we come in contact with. We
had dinner with the T family last night (ward members). We did not have a set dinner appointment
last night but they texted us on the way home from church and invited us
over. An ex missionary that was in the Pittsburgh mission that came
to visit for a few days was also there. They invited him over for dinner and we
were there and then one of the F family daughters was there. She really likes the guy and they
totally could get married. He is from AF, so that was really fun to
talk to him. We had bbq chicken and corn on the cob…which I
actually ate!!!! I know you’re shocked. I’ve even been eating the microwave corn
and beans that people make as well…progress!
- What are your 5 positive
things? On Friday a priest from the stake came
and did a full day exchange. He got here at 8 am and left at about
10 pm. That was super fun. Also Elder J and I continue to grow
in unity. I am a half way through training and it is the beginning
of a new transfer. Also, I am at 2 months
today.
- Any new people you've
met? No
not really we keep trying to get in contact with this one guy to give him
a BOM but no one ever answers so we are going to keep trying.
- How are things going with
the investigators? They are going good but we were not
able to teach them this week because they were super busy. We
tried to go Saturday with the Bishop but they were sick and then we tried
to go last night but they were trying to get the kids to bed. We are
going to teach them about the BOM next and its importance and try to
set a date to be baptized. How
many investigators do you have?
Still just the 1.
- How were transfers? They
were good. We finally got the sisters back. The new companion
is Sister H and she is from Logan and has been out 4 1/2 months.
Also it was fun because we got to go to the stake center Tuesday night to
give them their car back.
- Was the BOM class better
this week? Yes we got another person there, so we
are up to 2 people attending.
- Who is the new zone
leader? His name is Elder B. What area did he come from?
He was from Hershey (walk), so he was still in our zone he just got a
promo pretty much.
- Did you like Chipolte? Yes,
it was ok, but Cafe Rio is much better. Chipolte has really spicy
steak.
- Any good stories about
dinner appts. this week? Basically the story of T family last night that I shared in question
#2. Are you still getting
a lot of appts? Yes, we
average about 3 a week.
- Have you tried anything
new, different or adventuresome for groceries or are you still eating mac
& cheese? No, I have not eaten mac and cheese
for a while now. As I said I am eating corn and beans and stuff
at peoples’ homes. I know you are so proud of me. But I
finally bought some chicken and I found some of that Nann bread, so I'm
going to make the bbq chicken pizza. I have been making stir fry with
the chicken and rice and then adding teriyaki sauce to it and it’s good. Also,
I might start buying bagel bites.
- I'm thrilled that you're
singing in the choir, do you like it? Sort of, I say that because I really
have no idea how to do parts. I am the person that just knows how to
do the melody. They use choir arrangements so it kind of makes it
hard for me, but it is still fun. How many people are in the choir? Not exactly sure, but definitely not as
big as ours. We are working
on Have I Done Any Good and Faith of Our Fathers right now
- Do you need more stamps
& stationery? I could use some more stamps.
- Any rain this week? Little
bits in the morning and then it clears up usually.
- Do you still carry your
"Be Bold" rock? Does it help remind you? Yes and yes
- Can we pray for
anything/anyone specifically this week? That we can be diligent and bold in our
street contacting because we kind stink at doing that right now.
- Are you happy? Are you
and Elder J working together and getting along? Do you know him better
now? Yes to all. I finally feel used to
things and I’m getting adapted to the schedule. There
are still some hard days but I am getting used to things
now. Elder J and I finally have started to get to know each
other much better now.
Just another thing to maybe look into,
since we have this crave for puzzles maybe you could look and see if you can
find any cool ones at Deseret Book and send one if possible. Thanks!
Also this was in an email from Alyssa today,
it’s a poem she used in her farewell. Reading it made my day!!!
He's Been There Before
The alarm bell rings at 6:30, I stumble to my feet
I grab my companions bedding and pull off her sheets
A groan fills the room, is it already time to arise?
It seems like just a second ago, I was able to shut my eyes
The morning activities follow- study, prayer and such
When it's time to leave the apartment, you feel you haven't accomplished much
"We have a super day planned,"
My comp. says with a grin
I lowly utter a faithless breath,
"Yeah, if anyone lets us in."
With the word of God and my faithful Schwinn, we ride off in the street prepared to
Face another day of humidity and heat
It's 9:30 in the evening, the day is almost through
My companion and I are riding home not accomplishing what we thought to do
We ride up to the mailbox, hoping to receive a lot
Only to look inside and hear my echo reverberate "air box"
We go up to our apartment, the day is now complete
The only thing to show for our work is a case of blistery feet
It's past 10:30 p.m. My companion is fast asleep,
Silence engulfs me all about and I begin to weep
In the midst of sadness, I kneel down to pray
I need to talk to father, but I'm not sure what to say
"Oh, Father" I begin, "What happened to us today?
I thought we'd teach somebody, but everyone was away
My hands, my aching hands- worn, hurt and beat;
If our area was any smaller, we'd have knocked every street"
"Why on missions are the days so much alike?
The only difference about today was the flat tire on my bike
Will you send some cooler weather? The heat is killing me
I sweat so bad, it gets in my eyes, it's very hard to see"
"Why do I have to wear a helmet, isn't your protection enough?
People always laugh at me, and call me stupid stuff
Please send us investigators so I may give them what they lack
I want to give them Books of Mormon, the weight of them hurts my back"
"And what about my family: They don't have much to say
I'm sick of not hearing from home day after day after day
Oh Father, Why am I here am I just wasting time?
Sometimes I just want to go home, I'm sorry but that's on my mind"
"My companion, Heavenly Father, what are you giving me?"
The way she rides her bicycle, I don't think she can see
Now you have it, I can't go on, I don't know what to do
That, my Father in Heaven, is the prayer I have for you"
My prayer now finished, I stand up, then jump right into bed
I need my rest for tomorrow, we have another long day ahead
Sleep start to overtake me, I seem to drift away
Then it seems a vision takes me to another time in another day
I'm standing alone on the hill. The view is very nice
A man walks to wards me and says, "My name is Jesus Christ"
Tears of joy well up inside, I fall down to His feet
"Arise," He states, "Follow me to the shade. You and I need to speak"
My attention's towards my Savior, total and complete
He says, "Your mission is similar of what happened to me
I understand how you feel, I know what you're going through
In fact, it would be fair to say I've felt the same as you"
"I even know how you felt when no one listened to you
At times I felt not quite sure what else I could do
I know you don't like to ride a bicycle, for a car would be sweet
Just remember the donkey I rode wasn't equipped with 21 speeds"
"I understand you don't like sweating, in fact it's something you hate
I remember when I sweat blood from ev’ry pore, oh the agony was great!
I see you don't like your companion- you'd rather have someone else-
I once had a companion named Judas who sold my life for wealth"
"It's hard to wear a helmet and have people make fun of you
I remember when they put thorns on my head and called me the King of the Jews
So you feel burdened down by the weight of your pack
I recall how heavy the cross was when they slammed it on my back"
"Your hands hurt from tracting and knocking on doors all day
I guess when they pounded nails into mine, I ached in a similar way
It's hard not to hear from home when your family's not there to see
I lost communication on the cross and cried, "Father, why hast Thou forsaken me?"
"We have a lot in common, but there's a difference between us you see
I endured to the end and finished my mission, so follow and do like me"
He embraced me with His arms and His light filled me with His love
With tears in my eyes I watched as He went back to the Father above
I stood with awe and wonder when a beep rang in my head
I listened and heard the alarm, then realized I was in my bed
My companion let out a groan, "6:30 already, no way!"
I sat up and said, "Come on, I'll even carry your scriptures today!"
No matter what we go through,
When we feel we can't take more
Just stop and think about Jesus Christ,
He's been there before!
By Elder Troy Whittle
No comments:
Post a Comment