D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Monday, October 14, 2013

Week 19...Record Setting Rainfall & The Biggest Loser


     Sometimes I think we forget to recognize even the simplest forms of tender mercies from our Heavenly Father.  Last night, as we were cleaning up dinner dishes, we were the recipients of a simple yet sweet tender mercy from the Lord and a very sweet sister.  Dave received the following text/picture on his phone and it made my heart swell with happiness and put a smile on my face and a tear in my eye :)  He looks happy, healthy and safe and that's all I ask for.

       Text...“We just had the pleasure of having dinner with your missionary tonight!  So enjoyable!  I am visiting my daughter here in Camp Hill (I live in Herriman, UT).  He ate well, but all 4 missionaries wanted to weigh themselves and he won for the most pounds lost and we wanted to send a picture of him!"
 

Elder Muir’s email below…

 Hello Family,
 
First off, even though it is Columbus Day, I am writing this at the library.  So FYI this library is open on Columbus Day.
  1. How was your zone tour? Tell me all about it, were you able to talk with Elder Arnold? Zone tour was awesome. Elder Arnold had some amazing things to say. He talked a lot about how member missionary work is so important and how we (missionaries) shouldn't be doing all the work.  We (missionaries) should just be the ones teaching. His wife talked about repentance and how we need to always be repenting as we teach the lessons to our investigators. Yes, I got to talk to him at the end of the conference for a few minutes. First, he gave me a big hug and was glad that I came up to talk to him. He told me that it is ok to have struggles on your mission and that is how we grow. I gathered you told him about the beginning of my mission. He told me about how he struggled on his mission and all missionaries struggle at one point or another.  He also talked about how to work with companions.  
  2. Tell me all about the rainstorm? (I always check the weather before I send his emails to give him updates on what to expect and found they had been dumped on.  I thought the total was a mistake and started checking news reports…nope, not a mistake) Did you go out in it or stay inside? If inside, what did you do?  Holy Crap!!! That is a lot of rain in 2 days, obviously I was here in the rain but didn’t know how much rain actually fell. (On Thursday/Friday 10/10 & 10/11 Harrisburg/Camp Hill had a record breaking rainfall.  The previous record set in 1894 was shattered.  It’s reported that on Thursday they received over 4 inches of rain on Thursday and over 4 more inches on Friday.  Yahoo weather has recorded 6.58” for Camp Hill on Thursday & 3.77” on Friday.  Either way that is a WHOLE lot of rain).  Haha…ya right, I wished I could have stayed inside.  So the answer is no, we did not stay inside.  I had no idea that there was that big of a rainstorm coming and when it started to rain on Thursday luckily we were inside for part of the day for some service and our BOM class.  On Friday we had weekly planning then we did some more service that was in a patio area.  So walking to the service project I had my rain jacket on but it was soaked because there was so much water coming down.  I literally wanted to cry because it was so cold and miserable.  I didn't have my umbrella; however, I don't know how much that would have helped because there was so much water.  After we went to a few peoples’ houses and also went up to visit the guy in the hospital from Gettysburg.  Let’s just say that was awful too.  However, it is 2 days that I will always remember from my mission.  My scriptures and PMG got soaked but they are still usable.  I used to put grocery bags in my backpack to wrap around my scripture case but it never really rained that hard all summer and if it did it was not for very long.  So I stopped carrying the bags around.  The scriptures and PMG are still a bit damp but they will eventually dry. 
  3. How much weight have you lost? What did you weigh when you left?  I bet I’ve lost 5 to 8 lbs.  Last night when I weighed myself I just eaten and I was full from eating ham & funeral potatoes. 
  4. Whose home did you have dinner at and who is the nice person that sent the text/pic? How did weighing yourself come up?  So the picutre was taken at the E family’s home.  They fed both us and the sister missionaries.  They are in our area but I had never really met them so yesterday was the first time I met them.  He is an orthopedic resident and she used to be a respiratory therapist before they had kids.  The lady that sent you the picture was Sister E's mom.  She lives in Herriman.  After we ate she wanted take a picture and send it to you guys and so I said ok and I gave her dad's cell #.  I figured you would be thrilled and yes I have lost weight.  I am skinnier, but I think that is what happens when you average walking 10 miles a day for 4 ½ months.  They all are from Utah, but he came here for his residency. 
  5. What are the highs/lows for the week?  Well the high was obviously Elder Arnold and the zone tour.  It was amazing to hear from a general authority.  Another high was sacrament meeting yesterday.  Sister F gave a good talk on agency.  She a great quote that she gave in the talk.  I really really liked it. You probably remember the talk it came from.  It came from President Benson’s In His Footsteps talk.  "There has never been more expected of the faithful in such a short period of time than there is of us. Never before on the face of this earth have the forces of evil and the forces of good been so well organized. Now is the great day of the devil’s power. But now is also the great day of the Lord’s power, with the greatest number of priesthood holders on the earth." That really hit me after I found it on lds.org of how true that is and it was given 25 years ago.  Look how much that rings true in today’s world. I’m so grateful to be one of those priesthood holders and be one of the faithful. I know that we were saved for this time because Heavenly Father knew that we could make it through the difficult challenges that are placed before us and endure to the end.   The knowledge we have of the gospel of Jesus Christ helps us to be able to endure the challenges that we are faced with.  The gospel of Jesus Christ is constant and never changes and it’s the only constant thing in an ever changing world that we can cling to.  The low was probably the rain, as you would have guessed.  Also, we did not have very many dinners this week. 
  6. What are 5 positive things for the week?  We were able to commit an investigator with a baptismal date for Dec 7.  He was the referral we received for another set of missionaries.  Elder Arnold and the zone tour was definitely a positive and me losing weight…being the Biggest LOSER haha! 
  7. How are you feeling about transfers?  I really am hoping something happens because I'm at about at my whit’s end with Elder F.  He is starting to drive me crazy but I am making the best of the situation.  So we will see what happens, you will know by the next email.  Which leads me to NO ONE send me anything after Thursday so if I do get transferred it does not have to be forwarded to the new apartment. 
  8. Are the new shoes working out OK? Yes, they just need to be broken in. Unfortunately, they gave me blisters again but I think once they are broken in a bit they will be better. Also, hopefully I get transferred into a drive area next week and I can finally give my feet a rest.
  9. What kind of business does Franky want to start with his friend?  I am not exactly sure.  It is something that Bro. M and his neighbor are doing and so he has those 2 involved.  It is something about electricity, but I’m not really sure. I don't understand what they’re doing.        
  10. How's the guy that's in the hospital (parents are from Gettysburg)?  We saw him Friday night.  That was one of the places we had to walk to in the pouring rain…no bueno.  We were able to see him and he is in a rough situation. Unfortunately, he is  dying.  He is on some antibiotics to help an infection in his kidney and heart.  But they won't know how well it's working for a few more weeks.  If the anitbiotic doesn’t work he has a chance of the infection breaking off and going up into his brain and dying so that is why he is on the antibiotics. He may be able to get a new heart valve but he has already had 2 open heart surgeries so the docs say he has like a 9% chance of living from that. 
  11. How is Sis. S (Bro. M's friend) doing? Have you been back to see her?  Yes, we have seen her but we haven't really taught her again.  We tried to do a walk/lesson Saturday but that did not really go so well.  She was just wandering in and out of random stores and things and so the walks are not really effective. We can’t really teach her in that type of environment.  We have dinner with her and hopefully a lesson tomorrow. 
  12. What ever happened with the referral you got, were you able to meet with him?  We saw him Tuesday.  He is a nice old man.  He is into needle point crafts.  He is the one we committed to a baptismal date in December, but he has a lot of work to do.  He is not really sure about a lot of things, but if we can get some work done with him he will be good. 
  13. How's the food situation going? Are you still being fed by members...any good stories about meals/families or your own cooking/food adventures? The members feeding us has been going good.  Last week was kind of lousy, but whatever.  Let’s just say I eat a lot of ready made freezer kind of stuff.  I would try and make decent food/meals but I don't really have a lot of time to cook stuff so I am doing the best that I can with food things.  Overall, it is going well.
     BTW, I'm listening to Mormon channel music and they played Beautiful Heartbreak by Hillary Weeks and it just made me think of your lesson that you gave in RS on that. Just thought I would throw that out there.  Well I will write a snail mail today since I am not going to the church after this so I will give you more info in there.  

Love you FOREVER!!!
Elder Muir

 

No comments:

Post a Comment