D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Week 25...BRRR, Holy Bertha It's Cold!!!


Monday, November 25, 2013

Well to start off I'm in the last week of this transfer.  I feel like I have big things in store for the upcoming transfer.  Also, I will be skyping or calling in just 1 month from today.  I’m sure you are screaming now that you just read that J

1.   How's your week been?  What are the highs/lows?  Well we had a great week this week, we tracted quite a bit and we found a few potentials that we are trying to teach soon.  I still don’t really love tracting and it is not the most effective way of contacting, but hey at least I was out doing it.  Another high was that we finally got to talk to this investigator that we have not been able to contact since I have been here.  We finally got in to talk to him Friday night after many failed attempts.  We have another appointment with him on Friday.  A low is it is freezing cold and I am not looking forward to the cold windy winter.  Another high is that we picked up a new investigator.  He is the future son in law of a less active lady.  Unfortunately, they don't live in our area so hopefully they will move into our area.  We technically are not supposed to teach them if they are not in our area.  The less active lady (future mother in law) lives in our area but the daughter and the future son in law don't.  So we told them they should try and move into our area because where they are living right now is only temporary.  That was a pretty cool experience.  He (future son in law) said the closing prayer and the spirit was really strong in the lesson.  Hopefully all will go well this upcoming week.   
2.   What are 5 positive things from this week?  1)  I finally finished reading Alma.  2) I know you’re going to be impressed by this next statement.  I’m starting to eat and like chili.   Since it is starting to get cold here lots of people are making chili for us for dinner and I actually like it.  My guess is you’ll see me eat it when I get home.  3)  The youth activity we planned went much better than I thought it would.  We have been really diligent in our efforts and worked hard in preparing for it. 
3.   How's the weather been?  Looks like you've had a cold spell?  Any snow?  Holy Bertha has it ever been cold.  The highs have been in the 30's the past couple of days and lows in the low 20's to high teens.  No snow yet, they keep saying it is going to snow but we have not had any yet. 
4.   How's the teaching going?  Good as you saw in the highs we finally have a few investigators that we can actually teach. 
5.   What kind of service opportunities have you had?  Well, we still play pool with the old guy.  In Manheim we have raked leaves in a little park and painted some stuff.  On Saturday we are going to help put up a Christmas tree in the town square. 
6.   You didn't answer how your interview with the President went last week, did you forget/skip over it or do you not want to talk about it?  Sorry, I thought I did.  I was just running out of time and I must have accidentally skipped it.  It went well, he talked about the things that Elder Arnold talked about when he was here.  We need to make sure we are trying to use the stuff he taught us.  The interview  went well. 

7.   What's the youth activity that you've been planning?  When is the activity and did you and the WML come to an agreement?  Basically it was kind of a missionary night for mutual.  We had good plans for it that we kind of changed up a couple of days before the activity and the WML did not really like the idea of the way we had it planned.  We planned it the way President taught us, but the WML said it is not President’s job it is his job to make the approvals etc.  So pretty much it was just 2 differing opinions on the way the activity should have been done, but it went well and I think the youth liked it.   
11.  How's C (old guy) at the senior center?  Is he a member?  How did you find him?  He is doing well.  No, he is not a member.  A few years ago the missionaries went into the place where he lives and asked if there were service opportunities for them to do and they were introduced to C.   It has just been a standing appointment ever since. 
12.  Any new investigators?  Yes, a less active lady's future son in law.  So we will see how it goes with him.  The first lesson went really well and hopefully we will be able to continue teaching him. 
13.  Who are you teaching?  I have told you a little bit; however, we have been trying to teach this one lady (the less active I keep talking about) a lot. She is way cool and I am not quite sure how long she has been a member.  She has had a rough past and has tattoos and things all over but she is super nice and way funny.  I’ll tell you a story about her in the “what will make you laugh” part of your questions. 
15.  How are things with you and Elder D?  Things are going well, I really like him.  He’s pretty much an Idaho farm boy, he started working on farms when he was 12.  That is the kind of stuff he wants to do for a living.  He is the second oldest child and he has an older sister that is going to have a baby in April.  He also has a younger brother and  2 younger sisters.  Overall, we are doing well and I can't believe it has been 6 weeks we have been together. 
16.  Are transfers next week?  Do you think you two will stay together?  Yes, transfers are next week.  I am not exactly sure what will happen.  Elder D may be transferred, but most likely he will stay.  By this time next week I will know what is going on. 
17.  What are your plans for Thanksgiving?  Have you finalized what you are doing?  We and the sister are going to the D family’s house for our big meal.  There are going to be a few families there from the ward and it should be fun.  I will take pictures and then send the SD card home.  We will just be visiting members and things and then maybe be lucky enough to have a Thanksgiving nap. 
18.  Do you have a DVD player?  How will you watch 17 Miracles?  Yes, we have a portable DVD player. 
19.  How's the lady with all of the personalities?  We don’t really visit her much.  She is a once every transfer visit.  She has a really good home teacher that lives by her so we leave it up to them to take care of her. 
21.  What do you do on Pdays in Lititz?  We go to the library and email then we and the others play volleyball at the church. 
24.  Give me something random that will make me laugh?  You’re going to love this, we had a less active lady (the one I mentioned above) that we have been trying to get to church forever and she always has something come up.  She finally got there yesterday, but it wasn’t before Satan really tried to stop her.  She was already to leave, but she needed to take the dog out before she left.  She ended up tripping in a pile of dog poop and got it all over her skirt.  To make matters worse, she broke the heel on her shoe and she ran out of gas on the way to the church.  We thought she would never show up because she missed sacrament meeting.  But lo and behold she ended up making it for the last 2 hours.  It just goes to show you how hard Satan tries to wear us down and stop us from doing what the Lord wants us to do.  Conversion is a continual process and Satan is always chipping away at us.  . 

Quick plug for Mormon messages…there is a good one on the Mormon Channel called "Wrong Roads" by Elder Holland. http://www.mormonchannel.org/video/mormon-messages?v=2714780496001 You may have seen it, but I encourage you to watch it again because it is really good.  Love and miss you, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
 
Love you,
Elder Muir
 
Elder Muir at District meeting and interviews with President
 

 Amish Country
 




 
 Fall leaves at a member's home
 Sunset out Elder Muir's kitchen window
 


Horse & buggy parking at Target
 
***I borrowed a couple of the photos from a senior couple missionary serving in Zach's mission.  They go home in January and wanted to get a quick road trip in to see the Amish country before they left.  Beautiful scenery!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment