January 27, 2014
Howdy Family,
I am glad you liked the envelope
with the pictures and the letters. The stuff seemed to get there really
fast this time. I sent it on
Tuesday. That is really weird; I thought you would not get it until
Saturday. I’m sorry to hear about Steve, please tell them that I say
hello and that I’m thinking of them and keeping them in my prayers.
Unfortunately, I forgot to grab
my camera this morning but I have some more pictures from last Pday and my
exchanges last week. I went on exchanges
and got some pics of the frozen snowy Susquehanna River. I will email them to you next week.
Well another month pretty much
gone by and can't believe February starts on Saturday. I will be at 8
months in a week and a half. Friday (1/31) is a monumental day, it’s hard
to think that is the year mark of getting my call. It seems like it was
just yesterday.
- What are the highs/lows for the week? Oh my goodness this week has been amazing.
So many good things have happened. Miracles are happening and all of
the sudden everything seems to be falling into place. We
have met so many new people and we have the opportunity to teach
them. I’m not sure what’s going on, suddenly
all of our hard work is paying off and we can see the Lord’s hand in our
work. Maybe the Lord feels sympathy for us because of all this crazy
weather that we have been enduring. This week many people opened
their doors to us and we were invited to teach quite a few people from our
old teaching records. These are
people that were taught a few years ago.
So here are the other highs from the week. First of all, I was
able to go on an exchange with the zone leaders in their area. It was
pretty fun to get out and around to see a new part of PA. Even though a lot of their
plans fell through we still had fun and were able to make do and come up
with other ideas to complete our day. The day I was on exchanges
with the zone leaders, Elder B and
Elder T contacted these people that
were in our records from a while ago.
We have been meaning to contact them, but we could not find their
address and haven’t had time to see them.
However, Elder B finally contacted them on Thursday and they were
super nice and receptive. They seemed
to know who the missionaries were and Elder B said they were GOLDEN J Even better, it’s a family. We have
a return appointment with them tomorrow (Tuesday). Hopefully they
will be interested and let us teach them.
On Friday night we had a lesson with D and that went really well. Also, we picked up
another guy from Puerto Rico and he also has been taught before. He
is kind of wishy washy, so we will see where it goes. If that’s not
enough, we decided to do a BOM class. We started it on Wednesday and it went
well. We had a few people show up. We are doing it with the
sisters so hopefully we can get a good crowd coming out to it. Last
week 3 people came and we hope it continues to grow. So overall it
was a great week and we have a packed week this coming week. The
overall low has probably just been the cold weather and snow which I
am getting tired of. I really
hope spring is shortly around the corner.
- How's the weather been this week? Oh boy has been all over the place. Cold
and snowy last week and then it warmed up a tad this weekend. But it
has been crazy to say the least. Our WML said usually this part of
PA does not get this cold and snowy ever. I guess, according to him,
this winter is breaking records. So pretty much it is has been much
different than your balmy January weather and it sounds like this week
isn't going to be much better for us. More subzero temps coming for
tomorrow and Wednesday.
- How was the storm last Monday/Tuesday? Did
your car get parked? It was quite the storm,
it snowed pretty much all day Tuesday. We ended up with about 10
inches of snow. The car was parked for most of the day Tuesday. We able to drive in the morning a little
bit, but not much because the storm was just starting to roll in just when
we got started. So we came back and had lunch and then we went out
and shoveled around our apartment complex for like 3 hours.
Unfortunately, it was so snowy that it basically just covered all of our work
back up. So we shoveled for a while and then we went back and cleaned
the apartment. Later that night we drove into downtown Lititz and
contacted this guy that used to be an investigator a few years ago and luckily
we ended up picking up him as a new investigator. We walked around
to try and contact a couple of other people. While we were driving
back to our apartment we were going up a hill and had a little
trouble. Unfortunately our car does
not have 4 wheel drive. We were
almost to the top of the hill, but our tires could not get any traction so
basically we were just spinning. Luckily, there were 2 dudes behind
us and they came and pushed us up. On Wednesday it was nice and sunny
and we had blue skies. This gave
everyone the chance to begin to dig out. So there you have it…the
story of the blizzard.
- In your last email you said it was scary driving
home in the fog from Harrisburg. You didn't tell me that you were
safe and made it home in one piece...I'm assuming that was a given and
that everything was A OK even though it was scary. Yes, we made it home in one piece and everything
is A OK and hopefully it will always be like that.
- Was the man that paid for the pretzel factory
tour a church member? No, he was just a random guy
that knew who Mormon missionaries were and decided to pay for all of
us. So he was just a super nice stranger.
- Did you get my package on Thursday? Can you
use the sweaters and the new BYU shirt? Yes, I
got it all. It was lovely and I can
use all of it. Thanks!
- How did your interview go with President? Interviews went well. He talked a lot about
making sure that we set goals and then plan around those goals.
Basically it was just making sure that our planning is going well and we
continue to work hard and be obedient. He related a scripture story about
the people of Ammon when they were at a critical point in their spiritual
lives and laid down their weapons and gave up fighting. Elder Richard G. Scott gave an amazing
talk during October 2013 conference that centered around this scripture
story ( https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/personal-strength-through-the-atonement-of-jesus-christ?lang=eng President taught us that we need to do our part
in being obedient and be committed to the covenants and promises that we
make.
- How are things with your investigators? Amazing, as you saw in the highs.
- TP, Mandy & Lee ... Right
now we have just talked with them for a few minutes after we stopped by D’s
. But hopefully tomorrow we
are having TP and D over to the W family (Primary president) for dinner and then a lesson.
- D... is doing awesome and he’s making progress.
We had an amazing lesson with him on Friday and Bro. W was there with us. We intended on
talking about the Plan of Salvation but it turned into a lesson about
trials. Unfortunately, he is still not coming to church. But he
still is reading and praying, so that’s great! It hard because he
wants a “for sure answer” if this is the right thing for him. Really
he wants a giant “sign” that says this is what you should do as his
answer. We told him the spirit works
in a still small voice, not giant “signs” and that the spirit he feels
reading the BOM and meeting with us is his answer. Basically, it
just Satan’s way of trying to keep him on his side. Also, he
doesn't really have a job right now. He’s applied with a company and he
has had a couple of interviews and he just desperately wants/needs a
job. The lesson was so good and the spirit was so strong that he
started to cry a couple of times. I shared the scriptures in Ether 12:6
and 27 and those were very helpful to him. 6 And now, I, Moroni,
would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world
that afaith is things which are bhoped for and cnot seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive
no dwitness until after the etrial of your faith. 27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their aweakness. I bgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men that dhumble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me,
and have faith in me, then will I make eweak things become strong unto them. So please
pray for him and that things will continue to move forward with
him.
- W... Well, basically he has been really busy and not
doing much that we’ve asked of him, so we have pretty much dropped
him. We have one more appointment set with him for Sunday and if
that doesn't spark a fire with him we are officially going to drop him.
- M...
She is sort of wishy washy and we tried to meet
with her the other day but she said she was going out of town. So
we will see what happens. It is hard because there is no man in the
house, so we have to find people to go with us each time and that makes
it hard to get a set lesson with her.
- Claude... He is
doing great. He is still enjoying us playing pool with him and I
love it too.
- I family...
Unfortunately, we were not able to meet with
them last week because they were sick.
We are planning on going over tonight.
- Any new leads/investigators? The family that I was talking about in highs is a great lead. Like I said above, I have not met them yet, but they sound great. Pray that they will be receptive to our message.
- How are your meals? Do you still eat at
members' homes each night? Tried any new food lately? Meals have been good. We’ve finally been
starting to get meals back on the calendar. It has been kind of slow
for the past month or so. We’re hoping it will pick up again. On
a sidenote, I tried asparagus a few weeks ago and
this is hard for me to admit, but I kind of liked it. I know you
probably are jumping for joy right now.
- What food are you sick of? What food are
you craving? I would love some of your
Chex mix, that sounds good about right now.
- Do you need anything? stamps, labels
etc.? No, I am doing
pretty good on all of that. I haven't been sending a ton of letters
out lately.
- Can we pray for anything/anyone? Pray for D .
Please put his name on the temple roll. I really want things to get
going with him.
Really just pray that all of these new people will allow us to share the
message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
- How's Elder B? He is great and we continue to work well together and apparently it is working because we have a lot of people to teach right now. So, we are getting along great and we both enjoy being with each other.
Well as you've seen I have had an awesome week!!! Hopefully this coming week
will be the same and all of our appointments will happen. Thanks for
everything and I love you and miss you!!!
Love,
Elder Muir
Columbia bridge over the Susquehanna River
Ice on the frozen Susquehanna River
Snow can't stop this horse and buggy near Bird in Hand, PA
(southeast of Lancaster in Elder Muir's zone)
Photos from WGAL.com



No comments:
Post a Comment