D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Week 74...17 Months & Transfer #13


November 3, 2014
 Elder Muir and the Penn Sate Nittany Lion
 Elder Muir in front of the Penn State Admin bldg.

Sounds like you’ve had another busy week.  I’m sorry to hear the news about Ethan, tell Lori I’m thinking of her.  Well another week has gone by and it’s crazy to believe it is transfer time again.  This is a weird transfer for me because this is the last transfer for all of the sisters that came out with me.  It’s hard for me to comprehend they’re going home.  To top it off, Elder J (my trainer) is dying this transfer.  He goes home on Wednesday :(   Well onto the questions. 
  1. How was your week?  What were the highs/lows?  So this week has been a pretty good week.  We did not have a lot of lessons, but yesterday at church made up for our lackluster week of lessons.  We had 4 investigators at church :)  Only one stayed the entire time because she rode with members.  I think 4 investigators at church is a high for me.  Hopefully this transfer I can get things moving now that I’ve got things figured out and I know the area much better than I did 6 weeks ago.  Another high was we had a lesson with YL again.  The progress is slow but there is progress and they are trying to learn as much as they can.  The ward Halloween party was pretty awesome.  The best part of it was all of the non members came that members had invited to come.  Another fun random thing was on Wednesday we hit the town and had dinner at Subway and got ice cream at the creamery afterward.  It was nothing fancy but we had a lot of fun.  Adding to my highs was a baptism we attended on Saturday for a kid in the ward.  I was touched by the talk that was given on baptism and the covenants that we make.  It made me think of what the sealer said the time we were in the temple doing sealings right before I left.   There is a connection between the baptismal covenant and the sealing covenant.   It made me really think about how all of the covenants really tie together but they are separate ordinances.  We need each ordinance in order to obtain exaltation.  All roads in the church lead to the temple.  A low has been sometimes Elder R gets a little sad and cranky because his Visa hasn't come yet.  I keep telling him that it will come when it is supposed to come and you just need to focus on serving and being here in State College.  I reminded him of Pres. Uchtdorf’s talk Grateful in any Circumstances https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/grateful-in-any-circumstances?lang=eng .  Really, it was a pretty good week.  Oh the biggest low is Elder J is dying tomorrow (going home).  Sad day in the mission for me, but whatever life moves on.  I will see him again in 7 short months.   
  2. What's up with transfers?  Are you staying?  We are both staying.  That could change at any given moment though so we will see what happens.   
  3. What about Elder R?  What's the status with his VISA?  We are not sure, still have not heard any news.  I may get an emergency transfer if his Visa comes mid transfer.  We are just moving forward as if he is here another 6 weeks.  We hope that is not the case but we will wait and see what happens. 
  4. How was your Halloween night at the ward party?  It was awesome, YL and her husband and son were there.  Their son invited another friend and his parents came too.  A bunch of people from the ward invited non member friends that actually came and all of them loved it.  Were you able to go or did you have to be in by 6 pm?  Yes, we went to the party and were able to stay.  It was Thursday night that we had to be in at 6 pm because that is the day State College officially celebrated their Halloween. 
  5. How was the game this week?  Was it busy and did it affect your day having it at noon?  It was fine, we had stuff to do most of the time the game was going on.  We weren’t near downtown so it did not matter.  Random FYI…State College becomes the 3 largest city in PA on game day.  It even beats out Harrisburg.  Yep, you heard me right, it becomes the 3rd largest city.  It is kind of crazy.  Another random fact is I finally figured out what Nittany means. It refers to the mountain lions that once were fabled to roam near the school, and to Mount Nittany, a local landmark.  It is an Indian name for mountain.  So Nittany Lion is literally mountain lion.  
  6. Wow...on the greenie meatball picture :)  Everyone wants to know if you ate it and if you liked it.  It looks like it was sitting in some sort of soup/liquid.  What was the liquid?  Good times :)  Not sure the green meatballs would be my meal of choice but the "greenie" meal idea sounds fun.  The meatball was not green it was bacon that was dyed green.  Not sure what the soupy stuff was…something with peas and veggies so I would imagine it was a vegetable soup of some sort.   Yes, I ate it.  It was normal food,  it just looked weird. 
  7. How's Elder R's Chinese coming?  Have you learned any Chinese and do you understand anything?  It is coming along quite well being that all of our current investigators are Chinese.  Yes, I understand some stuff but I can't really speak it because I don't know how to do any of the tones. 
  8. How are things with your investigators?
    1. W?  Nothing new with her, she had to cancel on us this week. 
    2. YL?  They are doing well.  We had another good lesson with them on Friday and we read 2 Nephi 31 with them.  They were all at church yesterday. 
    3. B?  Not really much has happened with him; however, he randomly showed up at church yesterday. 
    4. R?  She is on vacation in India for a few weeks so I don't know when we will start teaching her.  She is on hold at the moment. 
    5. C?  We did not have a lesson with her but she did come to church yesterday.   
    6. Any new leads/people?  We may start teaching the friends that YL brought to the Halloween party.  In addition, hopefully we can start teaching some of the other people that came to the ward party. 
  9. What are 5 positive things from the week?  1) We had 4 investigators at church yesterday :).   2) We had lots of non members at the Halloween party.   3) It’s the start of a new transfer.
  10. Do you need anything?  No, I don't think so
  11. Can we pray for anything?  Pray for the success of our investigators and that they will keep coming to church and keep their appointments. 
  12. Any Christmas ideas/requests for me?  I don’t have any ideas.  I don't really care., but I will be thinking.  I was thinking the other day that I would love some of  the mint chocolate cookies from "The Store". 
Well there is the report for the week, over and out. 
Love you tons, 
Elder Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment