D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Monday, January 19, 2015

Week 85...One for the Memory Book


January 19, 2015



I can’t believe that you saw us on the camera crossing the street and going into the library.  Obviously you answered your own question and know that the library is open and I’ll be emailing you today.  However, even if the library was closed we would have gone up to the campus library and emailed there because we are able to use the computers there and school is in session today.  Also, in regards to the card--that’s crazy that none of the money was used.  I usually put my cards in my wallet in the card spots, but this time I did not put the card in the wallet I just stuffed it in my pocket (bad call on my part).  Yes, I have seen all of the new videos except the Bro. Ridd’s devotional https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/worldwide-devotionals/2015/01/living-with-purpose-the-importance-of-real-intent?cid=HPSU011115617&lang=eng.  I love the two that I did see, the YM/YW Embark & Serve video (https://www.lds.org/youth/theme/2015?lang=eng) and the one about faith & grace (http://www.mormonchannel.org/watch/series/his-grace/finding-your-purpose-in-life-does-faith-matter).  I love the Embark song and have listened to some of the other songs that go with the theme for the year.  Random fact, I think Matt Townsend’s son sings one of the songs.  Also, yes I can take pictures of that book for you.  The bummer is I just sent a box off this morning with one of the SD cards in it so I will have to wait a few weeks before sending another one. 

1.      How was your week?  What were the highs/lows?  This week has been a pretty good week and one that I won’t soon forget.  I’ll fill you in later J.  We have a lot of good things going on and the ward is starting to get vision of missionary work and we are hoping to take advantage of that to get things moving.  Another high was we had one more lesson than we did last week and hopefully that number can continue to go up.  We had a great zone training and learned about the faith it takes to find people and increase our teaching pool.  Something I really liked a lot was the part about how in order to find you need to be talking with everyone you come in contact with.  That is something that I have not been doing very good at lately.  So my goal is to get better at contacting everyone and hoping to see more success from that. 


2.      How are things in your area?  Things are going well.  Boy, the town is alive more than ever.  If you look at cameras I am sure you can see that the town is a happening place.  Just look on the weekends before you go to bed and you will see people out in full force lining up at the bars to go get drunk.  It is pretty funny/kind of sad riding around on the bus listening to the side conversations of how awful people feel and that they don't remember much because they were so drunk and wasted.  Oh, the life of some college students. 


3.      Have you had any service opportunities?  Not really.  We are possibly going to help some people stack some wood this week but we will see if we have time at all.  This week we have a lot going on.  We have lots of assignments from the bishop and WML so that is good for us.  We did help a member build some storage shelves to put in his basement. 


4.      What are 5 positive things from the week?  1) The weather was decent.  2) We are starting to finally get lessons lined up again.  3) We had dinner with our WML and were able to continue to build our relationship with him.  The downside to that story is they have a cute little baby that is 2 months old. I was going through withdrawals not being able to hold her.  For some reason little children are starting to get to me again and I miss being able to hold them and play with them.  It does not help that the ward is full of cute little babies. 


5.      How’s your weather?  The weather has been up and down.  It definitely has been much warmer than the week before, but the wind has been blowing.  There were a couple of days that were decent.  Last night was kind of icy on the roads and the salt trucks were out in force.  The bus drivers were busy cautioning each other over the radio telling other bus drivers to be careful in some spots where they were sliding.  Overall it has been decent. 


6.      Any info/feelings about transfers?  Not sure, I hope it does not happen because we are just getting things rolling again and we just put out the ward mission plan and we have a full staff of ward missionaries and things are looking good for the future.  But you know what that means, when things are going good usually that means sayonara.  So I my gut feeling is I might leave, but I have no idea.  I'll know by Saturday. 


7.      Any mission info/meetings coming up?  I have interviews with President this Saturday, but other than that things are pretty sparse for a bit. 

 

9.      How are things with your investigators/teaching?

a.  L & M?  Unfortunately, I think they are starting to dodge us, but we are still trying.  

b.  Any new leads/referrals?  Our WML has a neighbor that we may start teaching. They are still trying to contact her and invite her to some things.  So we will see how it pans out. 

 

10.  How are things with the ward?  Mission leader?  Members?  Like I keep saying things are going pretty awesome.  Things are slowly starting to roll forward and we are able to get in with members.  So we will see how it goes.  Another cool thing was on Saturday we were finally able to have a meeting with everyone on the ward mission team.  There were a lot of good things that came from that and we have a lot of good goals and ideas that we have made.  A lot of things that we are working on have come out of the book The Power of Everyday Missionaries by Clayton Christensen.  I encourage you to get it if you can and take a look at it.  Can you maybe send me a copy of it please, if you don't that is OK. 

11.  How are your studies coming?  They are going pretty good, I have been continuing to study the New Testament and also I have been reading True to the Faith.  That book is pretty cool.  I love the simplicity of the book.  It’s full of simple definitions that we use all of the time and it helps you understand things that you may not know a lot about. 

15.  Are you still fully invested in your mission and 100% committed?  Yes, there are definitely days that are better than others.  It’s especially hard on the days that are slow, but I’m committed to finishing out strong. 

16.  How are things with you and Elder C?  Things are going well.  He still talks a lot about computers and programming and all kinds of stuff that goes way over my head.  But other than that we are doing well together. 

17.  Anything fun that you want to share?  Well this week was quite the treat and will make for some good journal memories that I’ll remember forever.  So this former investigator that we were teaching when I first got here decided to feed us.  I had no idea that he signed up on the sheet until we were at the church for something and we saw his name.  The last time we had checked the sign-up he wasn’t on there, but all of the sudden his name was on it.  Still not sure when he signed up.  At first I thought maybe he didn't realize what he was signing up for.  But we sent him a text asking if he was feeding us and he said yes.  I was slightly worried about what we were in for at that point.  I asked him what we were having and he said, “what the dog likes” and I immediately thought, “oh dear, we’re in trouble”.  But then he said we were having chicken.  So that was a little relief for us.  We showed up at his house and he was just barely starting to make things and I was having a slight panic attack about how things were going to go down.  So he starts making dinner and to give a little background…the man has a lot going on in his life so he is kind of grumpy some times.  As he continues to fix dinner he gets a call on the phone but he does not answer it.   About 10 or 15 minutes later there is a loud knock on the door and he just ignores it.  Then they knock again and in a mean/rude way he says, “I'm busy”.  Then from the other side of the door, a lady begins to shout, “State College Police”.  Immediately my heart sank and I thought this just got 1,000 times worse.  Now the cops are here and we are just innocent bystanders over for dinner.  Finally he lets them in and the fire chief had come too.  Apparently the alarm company got a notice that a smoke detector had gone off and they needed to check to see if everything was OK.  The phone call before was the alarm company, but he ignored it.  I never heard an alarm going off.  Finally, the cop wanted to figure out who we were and we told them we were missionaries that had been invited for dinner.  The cop then leaned over to us and whispered, “Are you guys OK?”  We said yes.  Everything turned out fine after that and the food was decent and then we enjoyed dinner.  That’s a story for the journal for sure.  The other story is about our outing with the Penn State wrestling coaches. We had to take the sacrament to some people and they went with us.  I got to go with the head coach, Bro. S, who also is an Olympic gold medalist.  So that was pretty cool, not many people can say they have delivered the sacrament with an Olympic gold medalist. 


18.  If it’s Tuesday, did you just switch your pdays?  What are you doing for your Pday?  The same old, same old…we’re going shopping, I am getting my haircut, and then we’re going to the church after to play games with everybody in State College.


Well there is my interesting and exciting week.  Hope you all have a wonderful week.

Elder Muir



No comments:

Post a Comment