July 8, 2013
Hello Family…
Well this past week and today has been kind of
rough. For some reason this morning I was really homesick. Walking
in this heat is definitely going to be the death of me. It is hard
walking around all day long not really talking with anyone. That with the
heat makes both of us really exhausted…emotionally and physically.
It has made me thankful for a car and AC because most of the people don’t
really have AC and if they do it is usually just a fan or a tiny swamp
cooler. We have not really tracted a whole lot since I have been
out. We have set a goal to tract 5 houses a day for the week. So
hopefully we can find some new investigators by doing that. It is
not Elder J’s favorite thing to do so he doesn't ever do it. I
have determined a mission is probably the hardest thing I have ever done in my
life. There are seriously days I wish I could just come home but then I
realize that instead of the hardships of a mission I would have the hardships
of life (school & marriage). I read a talk by Elder
Uchtdorf (Continue in Patience http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/04/continue-in-patience?lang=eng&s=1 )about patience and it made me realize how
impatient I can sometimes be. It made me realize how much I want things
done right then and there. But he talked about how you just need to rely
on Heavenly Father and let things work in his time frame. So I know that
things will start picking up if I’m just patient and rely on the Lord’s
time. I finally met the bishop yesterday; he’s been out of town for a
while. He is big into missionary work. Also, I feel dad's pain of
being in meetings all day on Sunday and I miss being at church with you
all.
The sisters and elders went to give a guy that has
tuberculosis a blessing last night. It was kind of freaky. We had
to put these special masks on so we weren’t contaminated. That was
attractive; I will try and send some pictures. The man with TB is a potential
investigator and he is in the Harrisburg walk area. But the hospital
he is at is in our area. We are not really sure the whole
situation because he seemed really drugged up and out of
it. I don't really think he knew who we were
either. Elder Johnson and I and Sister Andresen and her comp
were there. I think we should be fine though. We just put a
super fancy surgical mask on since it is an airborne disease. We
were all freaked out that we were going to get it. We are fine now,
it is just the thought of being in the presence of TB. It was
safe, I don't we would have been let in by the nurses if it wasn't.
The little black quote book you sent has been helpful. I have looked at that book numerous times. That is how I survive. But in the down times it is sometimes hard to not think about you.
I really am doing good. Unfortunately, there are just those plain and
simple hard days. But I get over them and just start the new day.
But I feel like this is Heavenly Father’s way of making me a better
person/missionary. I think the hardest thing is walking everywhere.
Also, the culture shock of being disconnected from everything and being out of
the loop. Oh well such is life. Also, I keep forgetting to tell you
I started the BOM again when I got out here and I'm already starting 2
Nephi. I don’t know if Sis. Doane told you, but I saw her at SLC airport
when I left.
Here are a few questions for you…
1.
Are there any fires in Utah? I’ve heard that some other states have had
some.
2.
Have you had any big summer thunderstorms/rain?
3.
Send me some pictures of the construction &
progress on 13th east.
By the way, thanks for the pics of my missionary
plaque, it looks sweet!!! I wish I could
see it in person. I keep forgetting to mention that the fireflies are pretty
cool out here at night. Love you, miss
you and can’t wait for all of the letters and getting your package. Also,
I would love some pics of the Draper temple because the temple is 2 hours
away. I miss being able to go to the
temple. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll
be able to go until I get back. I know
on my laptop I have some saved under pics.
I think we are going bowling for Pday today so that
should be fun. I can't wait to hear from
everyone and get more letters. Also, it is pouring rain right now while I'm
writing this. I am so glad I am at the library right now and not walking
because everything would be drenched.
Love,
Elder Muir
Below are the answers to your questions…
1.
How was your 4th of July? What
did you end up doing? Well it was pretty boring but it was nice and relaxing. We
were out trying to visit people but no one was home. So we pretty much
walked in the heat all day long. Also, we had district meeting.
Then we were told by president that we could come back to our apartment and
clean and have a break for the night. If we would have had a dinner apt.
with a family that night we could stay out with them. Unfortunately, that
did not happen for us. I wish we would have had a party as a zone or
something like that.
2.
In the pictures you sent, it
looks like there is a bench press or weights behind you? Do you have exercise
equipment in the apartment? Yes, we do but I've determined walking everywhere is my exercise.
3.
Did
the Kinderchocolate survive the heat/mail? Yes, it survived and I got it
Friday.
4.
Also, the cute little hedgehog
is the souvenir that Derek brought home for you. I was going to put that in the
box also, but Derek wanted you to have it :) Yes, it survived I like
it.
5.
How are you doing on stamps/stationery? Good, I will let you
know if I need more. Something I could use is rolls of quarters for
laundry.
6.
How often do you see or communicate with the sisters or other elders?
I see them at district meetings for the ones in our district. But Sister
A and her companion I see all the time because they are our ride for some
places.
7.
What did you do on your last
Pday? Not
tons, honestly I don't remember.
8.
How was the haircut/lady? And
how was dinner? She was nice, I just got a trim because supposedly I can't go any
shorter than what I am at right now but President is coming down to do
interviews Friday so I'm going to ask him if I can go shorter if not my hair is
going to be the death of me. The food has been good so far.
9.
Tell us about your ward and
the members. Have you met any members that you have really hit it off with? Yes, there have been a
few. One is the F family. Also the T family. They are from
West Valley. She is out here for work. We had dinner with them on
Saturday. They are probably going to be a regular too. They have a
daughter but I don't know how old she is and a son that is 14 and another that
is meg's age.
10.
What about
teaching/investigators? Are things going any better? What about the less active
family that you said you were meeting with weekly (long walk to their house)? Teaching is going so so.
Really the only teaching I have been doing is to the one that is really far
away. Most of the teaching is less actives. Not any new
investigators right now but like I said in the other email hopefully with the
tracting we are going to try we can maybe pick up a few.
11.
Have you done any teaching
yet? I
have done a little but not tons.
12.
What are you and Elder J
studying right now? Really just the training manual. Then we read scriptures and
PMG
13.
Have you had any
cool/spiritual experiences that you'd like to share? Well last week Elder J
and I were really starting to get down on one of the days since it was hot and
no would answer their doors and out of the blue the zone leaders just happened
to call and we started talking about how the district needs to keep positive.
14.
What were the
highlights/lowlights of the week? High's have probably been church and the low was probably finding
out that the one guy had TB. We are all scared we are going to get
it.
15.
Have you lost weight? I don't know because I
have not had a scale. But the picture that was sent from that first day
makes me look awful because I had not slept in 24 hours.
16.
What's the best/worst thing
you've eaten so far? Nothing really bad yet but I’m starting to get sick of mac and
cheese for the nights that I don't have dinner appointments. But the spaghetti
that the F family fed us was really good.
17.
How's the weather been? Really hot and humid.
About 85 to 90 with 60 to 70% humidity. This is the first week I've felt
humidity.
18.
Can we specifically pray for
something/someone? That I can be more patient and not homesick.
19.
Did you see/learn anything new
this week? I have learned sometimes how impatient I am.
20.
Are bikes in your future? Do
you have to buy one or will a member provide one? I'm not sure yet.
Don't need to buy one yet. But right now we don't have enough
going. Bikes would make us see everyone we have in a few days then we
would be bored the rest of the week
Awwwe...Elder Smackaroni, maybe he should get some ramen noodles to douce up hid dinner? ;) actually, we should send him some quick and easy meal recipes. I'll send some out. Poor boys. I'll certainly pray that the homesickness and impatience subsides of he prays for me to get better with my sinus and insomnia. Fair Trade. Well, unfair, because he's a missionary and I'm just me, but I am happy to get the better end of the deal. ;)
ReplyDeleteSpice up his dinner. Dumb phone.
ReplyDelete