D&C 31:3
Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Week 21...Where in Pennsylvania is Elder Muir???


Tuesday, October 22, 2013
This is the letter we received in the mail Saturday to let us know where he had landed

Hello Family,

            Well…my new area is Lititz, PA.  It’s in the heart of Amish country, our area borders Lancaster.  In fact, we go to church in Lancaster which is about 8 miles south of Lititz (about 15 min.)  Lititz was voted the “Coolest Small Town in America”, according to the welcome sign when you enter the city.  http://www.lititzpa.com/index.php The best news is I have a CAR!!!  I haven’t been out much yet, but we visited the Lititz Springs Park.  I sent the package with my shoes and things today and I got your BYU stuff yesterday. 

            Good news about laundry…it’s free.  We have a washer/dryer in our apartment.  We share the area with the sisters.  We are the Lititz/Manheim North area and the sisters are the South area.  So I officially tried a whoopie  pie.  I got one at a Menonite food stand and let me just say they are “amazing” and they only cost $1.  I know this isn’t tons of info for you, but I’ve been here less than a day.  I’ll have a better idea of what’s going on and more info on Monday.   

Love you,
Elder Muir

Elder Muir's new home away from home

Lititz Spring Park
 
 Wilbur Chocolate Factory
 
 
Monday, October 28, 2013 (email)

1.   Introduce us to Elder D… He is awesome!  I haven't been with him a long time yet but I think he will be good and we will be good together.  He is from Blackfoot ID and he has been out about 9 months (since January).  He has been in Lititz since the end of July.  He is the first child in his family to serve a mission.  He has an older sister and a few younger brothers and sisters.  He worked on a lot of potato farms before he came out on his mission. 

2.   What makes Lititz, PA the "coolest small town in America"?  I am not really sure why it is (I plan to find out), I just know that there is a sign that says that when you come into town.  What cool things have you seen, tasted and done?  I have had some good whoopie pies from an Amish stand.  I have seen a few horse and buggies and there are lots of Amish farms out here.  Also, lots of corn fields and cows.  I am in the heart of Amish territory, so I will have to get tons of pictures and send them to you.  The Target parking lot has a spot for horse buggies to park, so I will get a picture.  It is definitely is cool out here.  It is mixed with small town farm country, yet there is still a big city feel to it.  Lancaster is the big city, Lititz is on the outskirts of Lancaster.   

3.   Do you miss Camp Hill (CH)?  Yes, I do miss it, but I am excited to get to know the ward here and make the same memories that I had in the Camp Hill ward.   I know at some point in time I will go back and visit all of them and who knows I could end up back in that ward for some odd reason or another. 

4.   How is the missionary work going in Lititz?  Tell us about your investigators.  The work is going good, lots of less actives that we are trying to see.  But we do have a few investigators.  That leads me to a really cool experience that we had yesterday with a family (3 new investigators).  So this is how the story goes…Elder D and his old companion were street contacting a couple of weeks ago and met and talked with this guy.  They started talking with him and he seemed interested in what they had to say.  The man said they knew a family from the ward that recently moved to Virginia.  His wife also knew a lady from the gym that is in our ward and she gave her a BOM for Christmas last year.  Elder D and comp ran into them again a week or so ago and finally set up an appointment to meet with them for yesterday.  The wife said this is where she thinks God is taking them so she is going with it and willing to listen.  We finally met with them yesterday after church and they are pretty much golden.  We started talking with them and she said she wanted to be together with her family after this life.  Elder D and I were both like “wow, this really is a miracle”.  So they are very open and are really solid and hopefully they can get baptized.  We committed the mom, dad and a 9 yr old son with a baptism date of Dec. 21.  I feel like that is going to happen and they might be the reason I came here to this area.  Also, the Elders just had a baptism here on Saturday.  Technically the young man didn't need to be baptized because he has Down Syndrome.  He is 15 and his family is all active and knew that the baptism did not need to happen.  But he wants to pass the sacrament so he needs this to do that.  His 8 year old sister got baptized on Saturday so they did it together.  It was a really cool experience. 

5.   What about the members?  What families have you met that stand out so far?  Well I have not met tons of them yet.  I met some at church yesterday and have heard a lot about them.  Unfortunately, last week we did not have tons of dinner appointments.  I met one family last week helping them put up a big mirror.  They moved in at the beginning of the summer and they are from Las Vegas. They are the D family.  They are a good solid young family.  We are having one of our Thanksgiving meals with them.  I have met a few others here and there but I don't really know much about them yet.  There are some other good solid families but I haven't really met them yet. 

6.   How big is the ward (bigger or smaller than C H)?  Boris tells us that you drive to Lancaster for church, is that true?  Do you and the sisters share 1 ward?  Yes, we drive to Lancaster for church.  It is only like 15 min. from where we live.  We and the sisters are both in that ward.  It is the Lititz ward.  It is a pretty new building too, it was built of couple of years ago.  It is the stake center for the Lancaster stake so it is huge.  It is the new style and design (it looks like a Utah church),  I will send pics.  Also, it is a pretty big ward, about the same size as Camp Hill, but there are a lot of less actives. 

7.   How big is your area?  It is pretty big, but a lot of it is boonies.  I really have only 2 big towns, Lititz and Manheim.  The area is split into a north and a south, we have the north and the sisters have the south.  I will send you a map of the area.   

8.   How was packing for the transfer?  Were you able to fit everything in the luggage?  Did you have to leave anything behind?  It was not fun!  The biggest pain was trying to get all of my sheets and bedding stuff to fit.  It was hard to get the blue blanket nice and condensed.  But luckily everything doesn't have to be nice and neat until I come home (meaning I didn’t have to fit it all into the suitcases for the airplane).  So no, I didn't really leave anything behind. 

·      How's your apartment?  Bigger or smaller than CH?  It is about the same size, I will have pictures for you when I send the SD card home soon. 

·      How was the transfer?  Where did you meet for the transfer and how did you get to Lititz?  We met at the Harrisburg stake center and had a transfer meeting there.  Then Elder D was there and we drove our car back Lititz.   

·      Are the fall leaves in full color?  Sort of, it’s finally getting cold enough to make them change. 

·      Are you adjusting to the transfer, move & new surroundings?  Are you happy & healthy?  How's your cold?  Everything is wonderful and I’m adjusting fine.  I’m really enjoying it and I feel good things are going to be happening here.  Also, I feel that I am going to be here for the long hall because President usually leaves you in drive areas for about 6 months so I don't think I will be moving anytime soon.  I will eventually get used to it.  My cold is fine, it just lasted a day or two. 

·      How's the weather?  Is it cold yet? Do you have anything specific you need in the winter box?  Well we had a cold snap all last week.  It was only in the mid 40's to 50's all week and windy.  Luckily, I had a car.  I think later this week it will be in the 60’s to low 70’s, but definitely things are getting colder. 

·      Have you had any contact with the members in CH?  Do they know where you were transferred to?  No to both questions. 

·      Where are the other missionaries from?  How many missionaries are in your district?  Well, the sisters in our ward are from Boise (nearby) and the other is from Kaysville.  The others in our district are the ZL’s , they are from Tooele and Payson.  There are sisters for that ward too and they are from St. George and Payson.  So it’s just like in Camp Hill, there are 8 in our district  

·      How many miles do you get on the car?  1000 a month

·      Do you still do your shopping/email in Lititz on pday?  Yes

·      Are you doing anything exciting for Pday today? Not today, usually we will go to the church and play volleyball with the district.  However, since it is the end of the month no one has miles to make it down there.  So we are not doing it today. 

·      Any plans for Halloween?  Any cool things happening for Halloween in Lititz?  Wednesday is the ward Trunk or Treat so we and the sisters are going to go.  We are dressing up as normal people and wearing normal clothes.  For the actual night of Halloween we have to be in by 6 pm and we get to do a deep clean of the apartment and then we have the night to relax.  Our apartment is desperate for a clean in general. 

·      Have you seen any horse & buggies on the streets yet?  Yes, a few.  Like I said before,  Target has a spot for them to park.  I will get a pic and send it.   

Well I love you and miss you and if you get this here in the next few minutes I might have some time to talk for a minute. 

 

Love Elder Muir 

No comments:

Post a Comment